Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what the advantage of these add on lenses are? The one in the middle is what I'm talkin about. :confused:

lense.jpg

Foo

Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
Discussion Starter #3

Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
I think that is just a sunshade. See lots of pro photographers with them fitted to their lenses.

EDIT : Hang on! Does it move?????

The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
GQ is correct, sort of.

There are three in the picture.

They are lens hoods.

The primary use for a lens hood is to prevent light from hitting the front lens element from the sides which will reduce contrast and create flare. As a general rule a picture taken with a lens hood you can achieve richer colours and deeper saturation's of the subject matter.

They also protect the lens. The damage prevented can range from sticking your finger on the lens element to a broken element. I did the last tracking a motor bike at the Isle of Man TT's when I turned from snapping one shot and had the lens element strike the corner of a building.

The one in the centre is a tulip type, and the left and right ones are tube type.

I have several tubes of varying length, selection depends on the angle of the light source that may cause issues. A low sun, or a light source near the focal point may require a longer tube.

There is a short one on the left, longer on the right (at least it looks like it from the fuzzy pic lol)

Similarly, you can turn the tulip 90% to suppress light from the side.

Which one to use?

Generally, the tulip is for wide angle lenses. Which is why it is on the centre lens and not the telephoto on the right.

The lens on the left looks to be 10-20mm range lens, with a narrow aperture range. Which is also wide angle, but with the short focal length you only need a short tube.

But I am an amature.

You would be better off getting the proper info from @STIC

nissan patrol
I will emphasise that I am not too sure about the lens on the left.

I have a 50mm prime lens and it looks similar and I can fit a lens cap to the lens hood.

But that is pretty rare, and with out a close up of what is written on the lens it's hard to tell, so there may not even be a hood on it.

Registered
Lens on the left looks like a Sigma very wide 8 to 16 mm, it has two different lens hoods built it very wide tulip shape lens hood and a slip over cover with the end lens hood removed it gives a full circle fish eye effect.

IMG_20190527_211100480[1].jpg

Registered
nissan
Looks like the left hand lens is a Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6 DC HSM

Middle looks to be a Nikon 18-105 f3.5-5.6

Can't see details for the right hand one.

The 'petal' lens hood on the middle lens (attached to camera) looks like it should be on the Sigma 8-16 as this is a VERY wide lens.

On a non crop camera, the standard view of the human eye equates to approx 24-28mm (or, on a crop, 15-18mm).

So even on a crop, 8mm is wide...

Even my 15-85 is slightly wide on my 7D2 (at the 15mm end, obviously)...

Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
Discussion Starter #9
Got this wide angle on and at $29 it won't hurt if it doesn't work but it looks okay from just a check through the view finder. :D

Foo

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

nissan patrol
Got this wide angle on and at $29 it won't hurt if it doesn't work but it looks okay from just a check through the view finder. :D

Foo

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk
I also have a 52mm wide angle like that, an Altura.

Fits on my one of my zoom's, to increase the field of very (52 x 0.43 = 22.36mm).

Or it can fit to the camera directly for macro shots.

Registered
nissan
Probably didn't explain enough...

The lens hood in question is for wide angle of view lenses (that is, anything wider (smaller number) than 28mm) on a full frame Camera, anything wider than a 15mm on a Crop sensor Camera.

Without a wide hood, the camera would take a photo with some of the hood visible in the image...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts