Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there!
I have a 93 TD42 Patrol,
Long story short.. I drowned it 2-3 weeks ago, water got sucked in through the air box and the car shut off almost instantly. I got my mate to pull me out.
Waisting no time, We then pulled the glow plugs out and cranked it over. Drove 2 hours home as I had no other choice.
Now in the mornings the car runs rough and blows white smoke. But after about a minute of driving it drives fine, no knocking sounds on idle, no loss of power.
It does have a slight ticking noise under load. I noticed my #4 injector was leaking. Glow plugs are all working fine.
I also did a compression test the results are as follows;
Cyl 1: 430psi

Cyl 2: 410psi

Cyl 3: 420psi

Cyl 4: 240psi

Cyl 5: 410psi

Cyl 6: 380psi

My mechanic suggests I change my injectors, injector pump and glow plugs

My question is;
Could the leaking #4 injector be the cause of low compression in cylinder 4?

Thanks LEGENDS <3

Kelzi

·
Every dog has his day
18,158 Posts
Um, no, you’ve bent number 4 conrod, that’s the piston on compression when water got in.

When cold that one won’t fire, hence runs rough. As it warms up it fires a bit easier, hence not so tough.

Can’t believe your mechanic didn’t say that straight away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Um, no, you’ve bent number 4 conrod, that’s the piston on compression when water got in.

When cold that one won’t fire, hence runs rough. As it warms up it fires a bit easier, hence not so tough.

Can’t believe your mechanic didn’t say that straight away.
Yeah bent conrod was my initial thought.
My mechanic has worked on many diesels and patrols before, very unusual.

What is the easiest way to check of it is actually bent.

·
Every dog has his day
18,158 Posts
Yeah bent conrod was my initial thought.
My mechanic has worked on many diesels and patrols before, very unusual.

What is the easiest way to check of it is actually bent.
I wasn’t asking a question.

It’s bent :)

Pull head off and check piston depth at TDC of each cylinder if you want but regardless, it’s bent given your description, symptoms match perfectly.

·
I trust your dash vents are clean...
730 Posts
Yep. X2 on bent conrod.
Pull the head and you will pretty much see number 4 piston being low on TDC with the naked eye as you turn the motor over. If it hasn't damaged the bore or the piston its pretty easy to drop the sump, pull the piston and rod, find a second had rod, check or replace the bearing and put it all back together with a new head gasket etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts