1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so im having some problems with my TB42 :(

Symptoms

Okay well she will drive along fine for a bit, A bit being about 20mins or so. But then the taco will just drop to zero, No coifing or farting just die.

So i try to start it again but it wont.

After 5 or so mins it will start again but if i try to take off it will again die.

I let if sit for a bit again.

It starts again and i take off, i drive for a bit then it dies, starts and then back fires.

After this sequence is done it starts again :(

And some times it just wont start after being let sit for about an hour or so.

So things i have thought it may have been are:
The Petrol
The fuel Pump

There is also some kind of rattle from under the bonnet i thought it may have been the fuel pump but now im not so sure. I checked the oil and it was down to about half so ill get some more tomorrow but i doubt it has anything to do with it??

So can any one share any suggestions for my problem :cool:

Thanks in advance
Matt

·
Registered
902 Posts
Hey Matt, Check your ignition system, Points, condensor ect. If you have an electronic ignition it could be that also. Breaking down when it gets a bit warm? That would be my first point of call.

If you are convinced it is fuel take the fuel line off the carby, dissable the ignition system and crank the engine with the fuel line in a jar. See if you are getting good flow.

See how you go mate.
Cheers, Adam

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
some more vital info might help you get some hit's, eg is it fuel injected etc

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
Cheers
Its a Boche GT40, Brand new about 4 month ago. I would expect more of a life than that.
it depends if its too close to a thermal source...

you could also be unlucky.

if you've still got your old coil (I keep a spare just in case for long trips) you could swap them over and see what happens.

I assume that your leads are OK etc...?

·
Registered
Nissan
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it depends if its too close to a thermal source...

you could also be unlucky.

if you've still got your old coil (I keep a spare just in case for long trips) you could swap them over and see what happens.

I assume that your leads are OK etc...?
Yeah i have the old one i will try swaping them back, i also have a second crane amms box i will try that too.

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,287 Posts
It sounds more like an electrical problem then a fuel problem.

I would disconnect the tacho first and see how it goes.

It could also be a faulty ignition module.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
405 Posts
id say power prob to coil, next time it happens put test light on coil check if power stil there,
if tacho stops u got no power at coil; dodgy ignition switch maybe?

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
1,610 Posts
Sounds like a vacuum leak to me, use carby cleaner and spray around the carby (But not in it)
If engine revs change you have found the problem.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Is it on gas, then safety switch. If petrol only then I think the coil will be the culprit.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,865 Posts
if u want my opinion i'd say:
not fuel
not vacuum leak
Definatly sounds like spark failure
not so much a coil problem, they cause it to run poorly or not at all
id be looking at the distributor and the pick up sensor inside and the trigger module(crane)
i have seen the cranes fail before
and check all the wiring to the ignition system

·
Slow, Rough and Expensive
1,137 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing just recently only I have the standard points setup, I found that the culprit was the points condensor so I wouldsay that it would definitly be something to do with your ignition.

·
Registered
nissan gq
13 Posts
Have you got a petronix set up in the dizzy,because mine did the exact same thing when it started to fail.If not,Easiest way is the long way sometimes .Look at the spark system.I would first replace the condensor as this is the cheapest part.And sometimes overlooked after spending on every thing else unnecesarilly.Ballist resistor,coil,dizzy cap, points,leads spark plugs,wiring connections.Good to look at these things every now and then anyway.But murraman could be correct also in mentioning the gas switch if its on gas.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you all so much. I am down in Melboune at the moment and I have picked up a new crane cams box :) so hopefully that will do the trick. Talking to the guy at the shop, he seemed to aggre that sounded like the problem.

Thanks again guys I'll let you know how I go toni f when get back to Eildon :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts