Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anybody has fitted a GU4 rear bar/ wheel carrier to a GU3? Is it possible and I so how do they differ through the models? Any help would be great

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,374 Posts
Welcome, oh lurker :)

The only difference seems to be the rear tow hoop anchor point - on GU4 there's a boxed extension off the rear of the chassis, earlier GU doesn't have it. You probably couldn't fit a GU 1-3 rear bar to a GU4, but the other way should be fine.

·
Registered
9,233 Posts
Just wondering if anybody has fitted a GU4 rear bar/ wheel carrier to a GU3? Is it possible and I so how do they differ through the models? Any help would be great
Hey Mickyf,
I just had a Kaymar bar fitted to my GU series IV and also had a look at a series 3 rear today.

The only difference (apart from the shape of the flares) seems to be that on the newer GU IV and up, there is an extra bit in the middle of the chassis rear crossmember. This is sort of a box shape with the four bolts that the rear tow loop bit bolts to. On the GU 3, the tow loop sitts back a bit if you have the alloy recessed step.

So yes you could bolt a GU4 bar on a GU3 but the bolts in the middle (if the bar you use has them), might need some sort of spacer. But you can't bolt a GU3 bar to a GU4 unless you get out the grinder and cut the box section bit off.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,374 Posts
Here's my GU4 with rear bar off.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GUIII
277 Posts
Yes it should fit. I've got a dual spare wheel carrier which I had on my GUIII that I have now put on my GUIV. If it can go from a III to a IV I can't see why it couldn't go from a IV to a III.

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys very helpfull. I just got a good offer on a series 4 bar that i didnt want to turnsown unless i had to so i might just have to buy it now. Cheers

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,540 Posts
Any chance you found out if the gu4 bar fitted the gu3?
Read the posts above and have a look at Squalo's pic in post #4. The info above is 100% spot on. The only difference between S3 and S4 is the additional box section in the centre that the towing eye attaches to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was just making sure as called kaymar and there saying the width is different between there rear bars. But pretty sure its just there a little wider to suit the gu4 bigger tail lights. Thanks for the confirmation.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,540 Posts
Was just making sure as called kaymar and there saying the width is different between there rear bars. But pretty sure its just there a little wider to suit the gu4 bigger tail lights. Thanks for the confirmation.
The difference in width between the S3 and S4 tail lamps is near on nothing. If there is a difference in width of the rear bars, it'll be because of the wheel arch flares, but even these have a very similar width between S3 and S4. The S4 ones look wider because they are a lot bigger, but the overall vehicle width is basically unchanged.

If there are any issues with installation it'll be because of the box section for the towing hook in the centre of the rear cross member in the chassis (which is visible in Squalo's pic). Some S4 rear bars use those 4 nuts as additional mounting points, so if you fit the S4 bar on the S3, the centre would be unsupported, unless if you fabricate something to make up the gap. Some bars like the Uneek4x4 one requires you to cut that box section off the frame when fitting the bar on an S4.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts