Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gday every one,

Im a Complete NUBE at mapping with GPS's on Computers and stuff like that. So i am looking for some advice and help.
I have a Garmin eTrex Vista® HCx and the Hema maps on CD, and im currently looking to buy a new Acer Netbook (Mini Laptop)

What i am wondering is there a way i can plug my GPS into the mini laptop and get it to work with the Hema Maps?????

The idea behind getting a Mini laptop was mainly to use it for my photos, bit of music, keeping records and notes etc etc etc and HOPEFULLY/maybe use it like a mapping GPS all when im out scrub.........

As i said i am a complete NUBE at this stuff, cause im a bit Computer Illiterate (Know the basics, but when things go wrong i have no idea how to fix it.......... Never seams to like the Cruiser Moto of use a bigger Hammer lol)

Cheers for ya help

Gordo

·
Registered
GU8 CRD
1,558 Posts
If it has a USB port (which it should), a GPS with a USB interface will work. Just keep in mind that the netbook needs to run Windows in order to run your software. Some netbooks run another operating system (Linux) that can't directly run Windows apps. It also won't have a dvd drive, but you can transfer the CD content to a USB memory stick and install it that way, or use an external USB DVD drive which are relatively cheap to buy.

·
Registered
nissan
8 Posts
I run an Asus EEPC with Oziexplorer and a usb mouse GPS. Works well and I think the HEMA maps run with Oziexplorer. Good program to but as ReefMagnet said you will need one that runs windows not Linux.

Thomas

1 - 3 of 3 Posts