Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys I know this might be a straight forward answer but though I would ask to make sure.

im looking at getting a PX07 boos air compressor and was wondering if you can run this compressor by its self without having the tank for it? I know most other 4wd compressors you can and you just hook you hose to it and go for gold but yeah wasn't sure as most ads for this compressor have a tank supplied or comes with all the braided hosing etc for a tank just minus the tank.

cheers JC

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,647 Posts
Yep no problem, but if it has a pressure switch to turn itself off when the tank is pressurised then you'll either need to plumb that in the air line somewhere OR use the male air fitting (the one that does not shut off) at the compressor end and the female end (the one that won't flow unless the other one is plugged in) on the air line, so the compressor can't be turned on without being able to flow or it will damage itself.

Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep no problem, but if it has a pressure switch to turn itself off when the tank is pressurised then you'll either need to plumb that in the air line somewhere OR use the male air fitting (the one that does not shut off) at the compressor end and the female end (the one that won't flow unless the other one is plugged in) on the air line, so the compressor can't be turned on without being able to flow or it will damage itself.

Hope that makes sense.
cheer man yeah makes sense =). I was going to only run it when needed any so will have a switch and stuff hooked up.

will be putting a tank in just need to work out sizes and where to put it haha

cheers jc

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,054 Posts
You can use a T-fitting to mount the airline and pressure switch at the compressor, seen that done with tanks to so it may be something you can keep. I love having a pressure switch on my compressor, no more putting it on the tyre and walking back to turn the compressor on!

As for tanks, I had a 100 Series come into work with two fire extinguishers turned into air tanks plumbed together. Seemed to work well! Makes for a flatter tank, and easier to store under the body. Could be an idea?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm interesting cheers rhys shall look into that.

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,230 Posts
Don't forget to try and incorporate water bleeders/traps into your tank design. Rusted out tanks will eventuate otherwise.
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
And if using a tank fit a pressure relief valve to tank and non return with bleed off for pressure switch to allow compressor to start easier

1 - 7 of 7 Posts