Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 65 ltr ironman dual zone fridge. It has a three stage battery protection with low set to 10.5 volts or the like (can remember? find) So basically the fridge shuts off with still plenty of life in the second (deep cycle) battery. My dads engal you can turn battery protection off! so is there some way I can do this to my fridge? Thanks Rob

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Have you put a voltmeter on the battery, and at the connection to the fridge?

Maybe you have a bad connection or the wiring size is too small?

·
Registered
nissan
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, but i used 6mm wire and the connections are good. Just thought I might be able to squeeze a little more life out of the battery without having to buy a solar panel. I get two days use out of it before it shuts down. Found this out on our cape trip when we were camped for two or more days without driving the fridge would shut off. I used to just idle the car for 30min or so on 1000 rpm. To get a bit more life.

·
Registered
nissan
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I have a 120 amp hr now but when I bought it I had to be careful it would fit in the arb battery tray! Nearly got caught out.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hi 89, and be very careful.

The 10.5v setting on compressor fridges is not there to protect batteries.

It is there to shut down the power supply if it gets that low, because going much lower can cause the motor to stall and burn out.

The problem is that most deep cycle batteries should not be allowed to discharge below 11.58v or 20% SoC.

At 10.5v, 0% SoC, you can damage most deep cycle batteries.

One way to get more from your battery while running a fridge, if the fridge is some distance from battery, is to increase the size of the supply cable running between the fridge and the battery.

The thicker cable means less voltage drop, so while the fridge still cuts out at the same voltage, the battery has been able to be discharged to a lower state, meaning you are able to run the fridge longer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts