Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol st
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change my airfilter box as the petrol 4.5 model you need to remove (lift) the whole box to remove the filter as it comes out the SIDE and with a snorkel I need to remove the box from joining the snorkel each time I change or check the filter then reseal it to the snorkel again. I want to place a 3litre diesel airbox (or 2.8 4.2) so I can just unclip the lid to replace/check the filter. has anyone done this and if so was it hard and have you got pictures?

thank you.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
There is reason for the 4.8 and 4.5 to have this setup. The 3.0 will not have enough air flow for the engine.

·
Registered
NISSAN GU PATROL
694 Posts
Also interested in upgrading airbox for same reasons, pain in the arse just to replace filter.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
What dbsep says! It won't breath enough for a high revving engine over 4 litres, it barely lets enough airflow through for the 3L, I know, I've done a lot of testing and mods, I'm modifying mine at present to increase flow on my 3L to feed the other mods.

·
Registered
nissan
4,992 Posts
@Stackner,

I have a TD42 airbox with cobra head in my TB45E and notice no difference whatsoever. It certainly doesn't hesitate when I need to rev it hard.

I have a 3.5" silicone hose through the hole to the snorkel.

·
Registered
nissan
720 Posts
The ZD30 airbox will work OK, but I wouldn't bother ditching the factory airbox unless you absolutely need to. It took 2 minutes for me to change the air filter on the stock one -- it's only three wingnuts and a hose clamp!!

Reactions: CrazyTrolling

·
Registered
nissan patrol st
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The ZD30 airbox will work OK, but I wouldn't bother ditching the factory airbox unless you absolutely need to. It took 2 minutes for me to change the air filter on the stock one -- it's only three wingnuts and a hose clamp!!
do you have a snorkel? what about the plastic pipe from the airbox to the guard?

·
Registered
nissan patrol st
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Stackner,

I have a TD42 airbox with cobra head in my TB45E and notice no difference whatsoever. It certainly doesn't hesitate when I need to rev it hard.

I have a 3.5" silicone hose through the hole to the snorkel.

Thank you mate. that is EXACTLY what I was after. did it fit in there fine and how have you mounted it to the vehicle?

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
It's under load were you should test it. When engine is under load it requires more air and 4.8 airbox is designed to allow way more air then when its just pulling normal rpm's.

·
Registered
nissan
720 Posts
do you have a snorkel? what about the plastic pipe from the airbox to the guard?
That part just pops off the airbox - I used to just use a bit of fresh duct tape each time to water tight the intake pipe from the guard to the airbox.

·
Registered
nissan
194 Posts
not to mention if the filter is too small it will be overcome and let dust through which will dust your valves and leave you with no compression

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
The 3l box will be fine on the 4.5. It's not turbo'd so regardless of how much load it's under it's only going to take about 380cfm to fill the cyclinders. The 3l uses the same air at 3500rpm. A simple lid mod as JFF45 has done and you're good to go.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
I honestly don't know how much LPM of air is need for the Patrol, 3.0,4.5 and 4.8. I reckon the 4.8 needs same LPM as F16 on after burners. That's what I base my technical knowledge on.

·
Registered
nissan patrol st
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 3l box will be fine on the 4.5. It's not turbo'd so regardless of how much load it's under it's only going to take about 380cfm to fill the cyclinders. The 3l uses the same air at 3500rpm. A simple lid mod as JFF45 has done and you're good to go.
Good point there mate. Going to do as JFF45 did for sure.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
I honestly don't know how much LPM of air is need for the Patrol, 3.0,4.5 and 4.8. I reckon the 4.8 needs same LPM as F16 on after burners. That's what I base my technical knowledge on.

430cfm at 5000rpm if it's NA which is still ok (not ideal) for std box with a 3" PVC lid box.

Fwiw a td42ti will need about 560cfm at 3800rpm and 15psi.

The better question is are you happy with the quality of the filtration at those volumes as the air speed over the standard media would he very high. Unless you've got access to a cheap zd box then the money would be better off put into a proper airbox like the fatz/radius.

·
Registered
nissan patrol st
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
nissan patrol st
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That part just pops off the airbox - I used to just use a bit of fresh duct tape each time to water tight the intake pipe from the guard to the airbox.
I love duct tape but I am not going to use it to stop water getting into my engine. Just personal choice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts