Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
3,050 Posts
You can run rope on just about any winch you like. Its way easier to use if you look after it. If its just for personal use and not competition then 11mm is a good size. You could go less but it will cut on rocks etc easier than the bigger rope. 11mm seams to be the norm for every day winches now. If you want to turn it into a competition winch let me know. I have a list of fairly easy but not necessarily cheap mods to get it to winch really really strong and fast.

·
Registered
nissan
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
G'day Steve, thanks for your comments. I had just heard some stories about Synthetic Rope not being able to stand a lot of heat and some winches can get quite hot when used in anger...?!? Just wasn't sure if this applies to hydraulic winches and the OX in particular.
With regards to turning the winch into a "competition winch", what are the options for the hydraulic winch? I'm not planning to enter my touring machine into a winch competition, so winching speed is not essential. However, if the strength can be improved, how'd I go about it?

·
Ring In..... for now
nissan
282 Posts
if its not releasing trade secrets (which I assume since you are offering advice on a forum) would you put the info up as a service to all members??
I've been watching info about hydraulic winches for a few years now, waiting for the day I've got my truck ready for it!!

Cheers!

·
Registered
nissan
386 Posts
Hi Guys, my (steel) winch cable needs replacing and I was wondering if you can run Synthetic Winch Rope on an OX Hydraulic Winch? Is there anyone with experience running such a set-up? Perhaps someone can explain the logic why you can or can't?

I know the Fire Brigade have switched to synthetic over steel. A mate in the CFA told me, He said it was an OH&S thing which to me could only mean its safer.

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
The heat issus is the only downside to using rope.
You can get rope with a heat shield sleve over the first bit or use a winch that dosnt get too hot.

Heat (in the drum where it will affect the rope) is mainly generated by the brake of the winch, which is often inside the drum. The brake gets hot when you winch out. Some winches have a brake cone at one end of the gearbox instead of in the drum so there is far less heat to affect the rope.

Where is the brake in the OX hydraulic.

·
Registered
nissan
3,050 Posts
if its not releasing trade secrets (which I assume since you are offering advice on a forum) would you put the info up as a service to all members??
I've been watching info about hydraulic winches for a few years now, waiting for the day I've got my truck ready for it!!

Cheers!
I would if I could cut an paste from the word document. I can't even put it in a PM. Microcrap office isn't working on my computer. :( If there are enough people that would like the info then I guess I can retype it for you guys. Its currently in the form of an email from a friend in the UK. Its been a few years since he sent it so I guess he might not mind me plastering it on here. If he does then you guys buy the beer. :p

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol
100 Posts
Hi Guys, my (steel) winch cable needs replacing and I was wondering if you can run Synthetic Winch Rope on an OX Hydraulic Winch? Is there anyone with experience running such a set-up? Perhaps someone can explain the logic why you can or can't?

yes indeed you can use synthetic rope on the ox hydraulic and the pemier electric winches as on the hyd wich the braking done by the fluid/gears and on the premier winches the brake is to outer part of the drum. other brands have the brakes in the centre of the drum and create to much heat for the synthetic rope.

cheers, dassloth.

·
Registered
nissan
386 Posts
I would if I could cut an paste from the word document. I can't even put it in a PM. Microcrap office isn't working on my computer. :( If there are enough people that would like the info then I guess I can retype it for you guys. Its currently in the form of an email from a friend in the UK. Its been a few years since he sent it so I guess he might not mind me plastering it on here. If he does then you guys buy the beer. :p

If you want to send it to me I can extract it for you. let me know & I will PM you my email address.

·
Registered
nissan
386 Posts
This is posted on behalf of Steve (spider) as requested mrcrazydude

Hydraulic winch Mods.....

Its a piece of cake fella

mine is chain drive, 1:1 from the crank using taper lock bushes to make sprocket changes a 5min job (keeps em cheap too)

pump is 33cc/rev rated to 2500rpm,
motor is 100cc/rev
tank is 45ltrs - design of tank is something to spend time on!!!
delivery hose from tank to pump is single sprial 3/4" bore (19.05mm I/D)
rest of system is 1/2" bore
control valve block is rated to 75ltr/min, integral pressure relief valve is set to 210bar (2940psi)
Over centre valve to sort the lowering out issues, pre-set to 70bar (1000psi)
I use an "L" port valve to select either front or rear winch
All my hoses are Parker no-skive (safe working pressure of 350bar)
I run 46 weight oil

the only electrical element of the system is the control solenoids, they draw 2A when running and that's it, totally waterproof, boringly reliable

next mod is running a Georoler 2 speed automatic motor, then we really are cooking with gas

hope that helps a bit?

·
Registered
nissan
3,050 Posts
Thanks for that paul. Hope this will help guys a bit. Remember that this if for a competition hydraulic winch but you can get some ideas off it for other applications. The other option is to maybe run it off the PTO. I haven't done this on a winch myself so I can't speak from experience. Only from the vids that I saw and from word of mouth.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I use synthetic rope on my comp set up (high mount)
GOOD POINTS
# is light weight.
# flotes on water.
# safer with no memory recoil if broken under strain.
# you dont get those horible metal splinters in ya fingers.
# you can use it, wind it back on & dont have to look at it again for months.(for steel)
# easiesr to wind back on.
BAD POINTS
# is very labour intensive (you have to look after it with more care)
# synthetic rope HATES:- heat.(can affect its stregnth) thats why it has surprised me that the fire rescue are using it. imagine draging a log off thats blocking the road that is burnt or burning ie those VIC fires recently.
# hates mud (it gets in between the firbers & the grit can friction cut your rope from inside out) the same as sand,dirt ect.
# it hates sun light(UV rays weakens it)

but I use it, you just gotta know how to look after it.

cheers piggy
# hates sharp objects (rocks metal ect can cut it)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
136 Posts
hi ive got a milemarker on mine run off a sererate pump(zf74 power stearing pump) and would like it to go a bit faster any iders please.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
136 Posts
cheers spider;

so bigger pump,winch motor,reservoir ?

·
Registered
nissan
3,050 Posts
Yeah its more volume that will give your winch more power rather than more pressure. So a good high volume pump and a decent sized feed line and tank. Like my mate says, spend a bit of time on the design of the tank taking into account the angles that you might be winching from.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts