Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
6,727 Posts
Mmm yes, corrugations. How did the King smoothies go on both the corrugations and the whoops on the sand hills?

At least you were all smiling in all the pics so it looks like you had a great time.(y)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hey mate, trip completed

The Kings where a whole new level, absolutely outstanding. Had them modify the shim stacks and install new Viton seals and a complete overhaul prior to leaving. The ride quality defies belief mate - it’s simply just that good. I’ve had the Kings for around 5-6 years and have always been real happy, but what the boys did in that service has just blown me and my mate away - both patrols have King shocks. The stuff we where hitting and the speed with which we where hitting them and hardly even noticing the impact - well just bloody amazing
The worst corrugations are around Kunawarritji - Well 33. Most punters are able to sit on around 30 - 50Km/H - my mate could sit on 70Ks, but his patrol would start to over heat if he went much faster. I was able to sit on 90Ks with the highest engine temp being 95 Deg extremely impressed

Most of the CSR was driven in 3rd gear sitting around 2000 - 2500 revs which is around 50 - 60Ks. The Kings just soaked up the corrugations. Most other travellers we spoke to where only able to manage around the 20 - 40Ks over these. Their experience of the corrugations would have been, as indicated by the looks on their faces some what harsher and enduring
Overall I absolutely loved the experience, cresting each sand dune was like a box of chocolates, you just never new what was waiting for you
Some random picks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 ZD30di ST-L
31 Posts
Will be hoping to do the CSR in June/July 2022 with a few from our club. So prepping will commence next year. Needing permits and the like I thought you might have to transverse some dry zones (no alcohol). Six or 10 slabs would be hard to hide but obviously its not the case. 🍻

·
Registered
nissan
6,727 Posts
The community of Kunawarritji is the normal refueling place just north of half way on the CSR and it is a dry community but there are some exemptions for tourists. You can enter the community with alcohol but it must remain continuously in your possession and not be consumed while you are there. This means alcohol has to stay in your vehicle and your vehicle has to be locked when you are not in physical attendance to it. There are accommodation rooms (clean and decent) at the community for hire and the bans also apply to these rooms so you can't take alcohol into your room and consume it there although I doubt anyone is watching but if you get caught it is a $2k fine and confiscation of all alcohol on board.

Most travellers stop at the camp ground at well 33 which is about 8km from Kunawarritji. The ban includes this area but the exemptions for travellers also apply here along with an extra one, you are allowed to consume alcohol here.

In other words, there is no problem having alcohol on board when you go through Kunawarritji or well 33 unless you brought it in and it gets into the hands of a local.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts