·
naturally asthmatic
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
Sometimes fresh grease behind the spindle stops the shaft coming out enough. Grab the end of the shaft with multi grips and work it in and out to disperse it.

Worse again is if you didn't seat the wheel bearing outer race's if you replaced them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
naturally asthmatic
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am fairly sure I have that brass washer on right. I sure hope i don't have to tear backwards into it and take the spindle off but I may have to. This time I used gasket maker on the knuckle housing to spindle mating surface as suggested in other knuckle rebuild threads. Funny there is nothing there from the factory. Thanks for the suggestion. :cheers:

·
naturally asthmatic
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also gave the outside of the CV housing a good coating of grease. I was wondering if that might cause this problem?

·
naturally asthmatic
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sometimes fresh grease behind the spindle stops the shaft coming out enough. Grab the end of the shaft with multi grips and work it in and out to disperse it.

Worse again is if you didn't seat the wheel bearing outer race's if you replaced them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I did grease it all well. It was a friggen mess from rust in the knuckle housing and lower king pins. I cleaned up all the rust, painted the housing in and out, and was very liberal with the grease everywhere. I did not pack the housing full of CV grease but did coat every surface with a good layer of grease. At first I could not get the hub and rotors on the spindle because I had too much grease on the bearings and the spindle. Wasn't easy getting it back off either because the grease hydro-locked it on the spindle.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Covering the CV in grease is all good..stops the rusting as you've said. But the gasket on the stub axle is a bad idea. There ain't one on there for a reason..it's not a sealed compartment and the mating surfaces need to be clean so the stub torques up nice and tight onto the knuckle. Sorry you got that advice on here but always be wary of armchair experts on the internet, bad advice often goes viral when the bandwagoners regurgitate it. But that shouldn't be your prob as the axle should come out with the stub anyway. I agree with chopped it's probably just grease.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The hubs are now on. Now, as I mentioned in the other thread, I am having problems fitting the seal, metal support ring and gasket in the right order. Dark now, so I stopped after trying. Anyone know the correct order and want to save me some time and swearing please let me know. The way they came in the packaging is not correct and the way it is laid out in the FSM does not make sense (but might very well be the way it works. Thanks.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Followed the FSM and it all fits nicely. Almost ready to go to Aircare now.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey John, How did the air care go?
It breezed through again. That is 8 consecutive years without a fail. Although, it is only the second time the tester was able to take it through the gears without having to stop and repeat the test or without reving the snot out of her. Once again, it was a woman. She can drive my rig any day. ;)

·
naturally asthmatic
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Air Care....Bahahahahahhaaaaa!
Glad I don't need to deal with that. Which reminds me I need to back down the fuel on mine!
Air Care is dead in the water as of the end of the year. But CVSE is still suppose to have their mobile test truck out checking commercial trucks. I have only seen it doing its job twice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts