Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

as the it sais, i cant unbolt my fron shocks, the shock just turns with the bolt...

iv tried wd.40 and holding the shock.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I've had to use vicegrips on the shock before to get them to come off.
Moral of the story... don't do the new one's up so tight, and use a second nut to lock the first instead of the tightening just 1 to within an inch of its life.

·
Registered
nissan
116 Posts
even whack a filter strap on the shock body and correct size spanner on the bolt and use the strap to turn the shock, have done it a few times and works on sterr dampers too

·
Registered
nissan
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i tried to use multi grips and a bit of sand paper, failing your suggestions it will be mr angle grinder

·
Registered
nissan
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok used

vice grips with sand paper
filter puller strap (worked better than vice grips)

have angle grinded the bottom bolt off so far but the top is in a tricky position....

·
Registered
nissan
116 Posts
unbolt the top mount off and pull the whole lot out, has 3 nuts underneath of the spring tower you can miss them and then bolt the shock tower back in before you put new shocks on.
When you put new shocks in tighten the top nut until it stops dont swing off it as they are a nyloc nut and wont come loose anyway

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
unbolt the top mount off and pull the whole lot out, has 3 nuts underneath of the spring tower you can miss them and then bolt the shock tower back in before you put new shocks on.
When you put new shocks in tighten the top nut until it stops dont swing off it as they are a nyloc nut and wont come loose anyway
Are you sure the top tower is bolted in? I don't think it is from factory. That also won't help much if it's the bottom nut that is seized.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
1,610 Posts
The top and bottom of the shock should have a notched bit on top (or bottom depending on the bit your undoing) of the threaded part
Use a shifter to hold the shock from spinning while using the spanner to crack the nut.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
if all else fails and the shocks are rooted anyway, drill through the shock and jam a decent sized screwdriver through ..... worked for me.

·
Registered
nissan
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey guys,

after angle grinding the bottom but off i proceeded to unbolt the shock tower.
after this i grinded the shock in half (the top half) the with a fair bit of frigging around i got the shock and shock tower out.

once out i grinded the nut off the top.

then bolted the tower back in and fitted the rest of my lift.

thanks guys for your responces

cheers

·
Registered
nissan
101 Posts
mate could have drilled a hole in the dust cover and put a screwdriver in it to lock it up

·
Give it some goat
nissan
2,697 Posts
Just get a mate to hold it? Use a rattle gun also, has worked many times for me.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1 Posts
get a tie down strap, wrap it around the shock a few times, making sure it overlaps itself then attach the other end to your bullbar or a pole or something and do it up a little to apply a little tension. so when you go to undo the nut the strap will take up and hold the shock.
its probably too late to help you but may assist someone else in future.

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
If the shocks are getting binned I just get some big stillsons on the metal dust cover and then a long spanner on the top nut and a rattle gun on the bottom nut. And spray some rost off or the like.

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
if all else fails and the shocks are rooted anyway, drill through the shock and jam a decent sized screwdriver through ..... worked for me.
It is the only way to get a really rust welded nut off the top. The wrench tabs on the top of the shocks always break off. Once you have the big screw driver or rod locking the shock from spinning, the nuts will also likely just break off too. I know mine did with the stock Nissan shocks when i did the lift.

·
Registered
nissan
115 Posts
I had this problem, i ended up buying a cheap rattle gun from repco for $50 (and hooking it up to my iron man tyre compressor which means its pretty dodgey setup heh). Put it on the lowest torque setting, nuts came straight off and the shocks are fine. Even did it in the car park of repco (which was fairly amusing).

heh and now i have a portable (dodgey) rattle run. :p

·
Registered
nissan
11,174 Posts
id have and have in the past used a big set of multigrips to hold the shocks and went nuts.
also stillsons work even better cause they self energise. the other key is a set of them long long long double ring spanners they are the bomb. and well worth the money imo.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts