Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
just planning a trip to Cape Arid and was checking out google earth. I can see a track connecting Thomas Fishery to Yokinup Bay. The East West track. This isn't mention in any books or on any maps.
Does anyone know if it is a track and is it open?

Cheers
Marty

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yep, definitely a track, & if ya zoom in on it, looks to be pretty well used ;)

I worked in that area through the 1970's & 80's, and spent a bit of time fishing the beaches there :)

I think you'll find that the North-South track in your shot joins the Poison Creek Road, and if you follow the track east, from the intersection shown, will also take you to Poison Creek.. at least, that is what my T4A map on Garmin Mapsource is telling me ;)

Last time I was in that area was '05, but didn't get onto that particular track, so have no idea of the present condition / status of it...

:cheers:

·
Registered
nissan
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks Ed C, I've just found it marked an another map book too.
I'm planning about 10 days down that way with some other 4WD club members, are there any great camp spots you could recommend in Cape Arid. So far Seal creek looks the best for about 6 cars and then we can do day trips from there.
Cheers
Marty

·
Registered
473 Posts
Well, my "familiarity" with the place is about 25 years out of date, so I doubt if any recommendations I may make would be much use to you ;)

When I was last there (05) we stayed at Alexander Bay.. the shire (I think) had set up a new campsite there complete w/- composting dunny, & we had the place to ourselves, and thought that it was quite OK :)

Thomas River has completely changed, w/- gravel road, & "organised" (pay) campsites, which looked OK too, though we didn't stay there...

When I was living in the area, we used to just drive down to the beach (sandy track), pick any spot that suited us, and that was that... :)

Hoping to get back over there late next year (No 1 son lives in Perth), and we'll more than likely make a stop-over at Seal Ck or Poison Ck, then have a look to see if we can get to Israelite Bay (we'll be towing)...

Without any up-to-date knowledge of the area, I'd say either Seal Creek or Poison Ck would be the go for what you're planning..

I will make one suggestion though...
Go for a drive down to Kennedy Beach (track is off Merivale Rd, directly opposite Exchange Rd)... To the east of the track, just behind the cleared farmland (my old workplace ;)), there is a freshwater lake... You can zoom in on it on Google Earth).. the track(s) into the lake itself look to be a bit overgrown, so may take a bit of finding, and you may get a "massage", but if you can find the track into the southern end of the lake, you'll find a nice white sandy "beach" where any kids will enjoy a paddle... this will depend how full the lake is of course, but should be OK this time of year..

Don't tell anyone I told ya, but there used to be critters in that lake.... 6 letters, starting with a "m" & ending with a "n"..............
I see no reason why they shouldn't still be there ;)

Have fun....

:cheers:

·
Registered
nissan
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for that Ed.
I'll get a good map of the area on Thursday then I plan to mark the tracks I can see on Google earth on to it.
I wish there was a way of saving google Earth maps so they can be viewed on your iphone or ipad while driving in these areas. :-(
Marty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts