Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After completing the list of to do’s on my patrol I decided it was time to test them out. Headed of for Cape Palmerston about 100klms south of Mackay. You turn of the Bruce highway at Ilbilbie Caltex servo, and head towards the coastal township of Green hill. Just as you enter Green Hill you turn left on to the dirt road that takes you to the beach of Cape Palmerston.

On to the beach for about a 10min run north to the track that takes you to a few different camping areas, the 1st being Windmill Bay then you can go from there either to Cape Creek or Cape Clark.

Be little careful on the beach as it has a selection of very soft spots that are very unpleasant. As you can see in the photos below, Shifties point seemed to be the worst area.

The track was rather washed out and bogie due to all the rain. So was a good test for the new mods to the truck. The track to Cape Creek is quiet easy, but there are 2 to Cape Clark an inland and coastal (very hilly) track. The inland track is very over grown and loves putting bush pin stripping on your truck. The views from Cape Clark are great.

Take the Sandfly repellent…. You will need it. There are drop toilets at the camp grounds. You do need to gain a permit as you enter the National park.

It is great for day trips or longer… is a bit of fun getting the 4wd dirty as well.

Some Photos below.

Looking south towards Shiffties Point watting for the tide to peak and then start to drop. Made it to the front wheels of the truck.

Cape Creek boat ramp, stayed here for the night. Very nice palce if you like your Mud crabing.

Some of the fun parts of the track in

The top of Cape Clark

Some views form the smaller head lands

2 Days of 4wd ing had to get bogged some time. Found a bit of Mangrove mud covered via a couple of inchs of sand just to the left of the track to get off teh beach and head back to Green Hill.

·
Registered
nissan
55 Posts
nice pics Patrolit any fish? I see you have a winch on you alloy bar,a question ,did you put it on & how hard was it,anything special you needed to fit the winch.I have a alloy bar on my ute & am trying to work out wheather a new winch-bar or fit a winch to the alloy one.Neil

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi 4Wd Ute, No no fish, didn't even take a rod.

Yes I made up my own winch frame that sits seperatly behind the bar, mounted to either side of the chasie. If you do a search on this forum there are a few different threads on doing such a job. I did do it diffrently then the threads show as I wanted the ability to support a second recovery point on the passanger side chasie rail.

I made up a L shape frame that was then wleded to 2 pieces of 100 x 75 angle that runs back the length of the rails to the radiator support. allowing the exsisting recovery point to be strengthened and the three holes on the passanger side where there are no welded nuts to also be reinforced and fitted with a recovery point.

Shane

1 - 4 of 4 Posts