1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gents,

wanting to get some advise and possibly an itinerary sorted for cape york 2015

Going to have 4 weeks to do the cape and want to see as much of it as possible, Can anyone recommend places and tracks to do - Wanting to do CREB, OTL and a bit of general exploring. ( best time of year to go etc )

Has anyone already got an itinerary of the Cape ?

Any tips / advise would be appreciated.

Xer0

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,724 Posts
Is that 4 weeks on the Cape, or 4 weeks all up?

The Old Coach Road is also an interesting drive.

Don't forget you need to pre-book sites in National Parks.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4 weeks all up - driving up from Brisbane so we'll knock that over in 2 days.

·
Registered
nissan
978 Posts
I struggle with writing an itinerary when going somewhere new. I find it cramps my style.

But you'll find 300km is a decent distance to travel per day, and I recommend a lot less.

I went for the first time this year. One of the things I would like to do is camp more at the creeks on the OTT. Wife enjoyed Nolan's Brook, and the plan is to sit there on a long weekend or school holidays for entertainment. It's whatever floats your boat. Are you there for the fishing? Camping? Driving? Getting away from people? See everything? Do the tourist thing?

Write down what you hope to do, and perhaps we'll be able to help you with locations for you to visit.

X2 for the old coach road.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm heading up again with the family. Four weeks all up which won't be enough but better than nothing. No itinerary as I find no plans best although there will have to be a little with pre booking camp sites. We'll do Frenchmans the OTL and I want to get out to Thursday Island.
Maybe we'll see you up there.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,038 Posts
I struggle with writing an itinerary when going somewhere new. I find it cramps my style.
It depends how much time you have. If you have ample time you don't really need an itinerary but you still need to make a list of things to see and do otherwise time gets away and you end up with your back against the wall. If time is tight you need an itinerary.

4 weeks from Brissy to the cape and back is pretty generous though. That will give three weeks north of Laura which is pretty much enough time to see just about everything.

The only problem with doing the CREB track on a trip to Cape York is that by the time the CREB is open it will be pretty tame on the OTT and Frenchman's.

Cheers,

·
Registered
nissan
479 Posts
Lol, ask people at Nolans if everyone is driving through at the time, or just getting pulled through!
No one will tell you before, and then let you know after getting stuck in the middle. ?. Crunts :)

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,038 Posts
Unless you get it on the way back?
Possibly, but no guarantees. For the OTT to be something of a challenge you need to do it well before the end of May most years. Until the last few years the Creb track typically opened the first of June, so that would fit in OK doing the OTT in mid May and the Creb in early June. Things seem to have changed though. In 2012 the Creb did not open until late July and in 2013 it did not open until August. I'm not sure exactly when it opened this year but I know it was late this year as well.

You might be lucky enough to get the stars to line up but I wouldn't get my hopes too high.

Cheers,

Edit: For Nolan's just make sure you drop tyre pressures for soft sand.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would be doing the tip in mid / late July anything worth while ?

* Thanks for the responses thus far guys appreciate it *

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,038 Posts
Would be doing the tip in mid / late July anything worth while
Sure, there is heaps that is worthwhile. Just don't expect to find the Old Telegraph Track to be "one of Australia's toughest tracks" (as it is sometimes labeled) once it has largely dried out. There are many hard core offroaders that have expressed disappointment in how tame the OTT was in June or even later in the year. The problem with finding a suitable label is that one person's "tough track" is another person's "drive to the shops". Having said that, don't underestimate the track, even if you go during the "safe season" of June to November. Things can still go wrong, mainly to to lack of familiarity with the track.

Have a read of Leethal's thread on his trip to Cape York. He is a very experienced 4X4 tourer and offroad racer with an extremely well rigged touring vehicle. There would be little on the OTT that would be challenging for him or his car but due to a combination of not realizing what crossing he was at and some equipment failures, he ended up stuck in water almost up to the door handles before he was able to winch out. While he was waiting for the water to drain from his car he guided a few other stock or near stock vehicles through the crossing, none of whom had any problems. I've also seen pics of a Landcruiser that rolled at Sam Ck which is one of the easier crossings on the northern half of the track. This poor guy just dropped a front wheel into a hole he didn't realize was there. There's a tip, walk all crossings first.

Anyway, that is enough about the OTT. There is lots more on Cape York than the OTT even though it is one of the highlights for a true offroader. Do a search through this forum for "Cape York" and you will find lots of usefull info. The type of things you are interested in will determine your priorities in places to go and things to see. I have little interest in fishing but I'm a bit of a history buff so even though I'll check out places like the Pennefather River and Lakefield I won't spend much time there but rather ferret out the old gold mines and war sites in the region.

If you are going to Cape York for a hard core offroad challenge then don't go in June but if you are interested in the other things the region has to offer, it doesn't really matter when you go.

Cheers,

·
Registered
nissan patrol
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Perfect thanks overboard & Stumpy.

Going for the adventure not so much to get into hektik tracks. but still will do them if it means seeing something worth while.

Cheers,

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
9 Posts
We are going up too

We are going up to in June next year for 5 weeks from Brisbane. It is a belated honeymoon ( getting married on Fraser in March). We are going alone but we can't wait to meet some great people.

We don't want to plan to much cause we do have a good amount of time but we have 3 key things: fun, fishing and Fourby driving. I want to leave it open but I have been told that I should at least book loyalty/chilli beach. What do you reckon?

Any tips/suggestions on what we must do, see or hot fishing spots would be great....

Also something else I am not 100% sure how did everyone work out food? The biggest trip I have done is 2 weeks where I could restock. Are there many spots to Restock?

Any help would be great.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
329 Posts
the only piece of advise i will give is check the crossings your self and if need be, watch others go across and learn from their mistakes.

the amount of times people told me that no one can get through nolans, frenchmans or palm creek was stupid. each time we though what the heck, worst we will do is say its to hard and turn around but every time there was heaps of people at the obstacles and having minimal if any issues.

its a hell of a long way to travel all the way up there, take someones word that something isn't passible and miss it all to find that there he/she had no clue

its an awesome trip and no doubt you will have a ball

·
Registered
nissan patrol
329 Posts
We are going up to in June next year for 5 weeks from Brisbane. It is a belated honeymoon ( getting married on Fraser in March). We are going alone but we can't wait to meet some great people.

We don't want to plan to much cause we do have a good amount of time but we have 3 key things: fun, fishing and Fourby driving. I want to leave it open but I have been told that I should at least book loyalty/chilli beach. What do you reckon?

Any tips/suggestions on what we must do, see or hot fishing spots would be great....

Also something else I am not 100% sure how did everyone work out food? The biggest trip I have done is 2 weeks where I could restock. Are there many spots to Restock?

Any help would be great.
definitely book somewhere up top otherwise you might end up either not getting in or getting a crappy spot. we stayed at punsand bay right on the water and was excellent

have a list of places you want to see and roughly where they are so you can plot a rough course to maximise the things you see. for time frames just work out how long you need to get there and home. how far the things are that you want to see for fuel purposes and then just go from there. we tried to plan the trip and once we went north of cairns that went out the window but still saw everything we wanted to

on the food side of things. we had 2 fridges, one on fridge other on freeze. meat was cryovac'd by the butcher. you can re-stock most of your supplies in bamaga

·
Registered
nissan
978 Posts
Yes, heaps of people saying things like that.

You're not supposed to put people in a box, but all the people that told me that were grey nomads without the 4wding bug or didn't own a vehicle that would be capable of travelling up there.

·
Registered
175 Posts
We ran 2 fridges. One had 6 weeks of cryovaked meals. No need to freeze. Just mix it up when your stocking it so you don't have to dig to the bottom and possibly hole a bag.
We bagged rissoles, steaks, snags, stir frys, etc etc
We actually had some food when we got home that was still good.
Cause the fridge was full most of the time it kept its temp and didn't draw much juice.
We did buy fresh when available / decently priced.

A couple of mates recently went with some others in a rented troopy, picked up a mate from Weipa and their shopping consisted of cartons of beer and 2 cooked chooks each for their trip up the tele.......

·
Registered
nissan
225 Posts
We are currently planning our trip for August 2015 trying to pick the tracks we want to do in the four weeks we are going.
Best advice I've been given so far is in a group get together and make sure your not carrying three of one thing you only need one of and one of something you really need three off.
If you get my drift storage is precious when living out of the truck for a month

1 - 20 of 68 Posts