Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
Lucky bastard. :)

Foo

Registered
nissan
we just got back last Saturday and loved it! Spent two nights at cape Hillsborough on the way back, great spot! Are you doing the telly track? It was easy mate, don't get scared off by what others tell you, if we had listened to all the "fishing" stories and not gone and had a look for ourselves then we would have missed out on heaps of fun. If your up for a bit of fun do the frenchmans track. The Pascoe river is intimidating and the drive out of the wenlock was great fun. Nearly knee high mud/slop on the right hand side and we ended up doing a double line pull up the hill. My 28 week pregnant wife running the winch and me climbing in and out of the drivers window and all on our own, it was the highlight of our trip. That and crossing nolans no worries and only because of it's reputation and everyone telling you that it had already claimed 18 cars so far blah/blah. Mate I hope you have a blast as we did, stay safe and listen to peoples advice but go and look for yourself before making up your mind.

Registered
nissan patrol
Completely agree, done the cape last year by ourselves was great fun. Frenchmans was our high lite as well. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patrol Dude
4.2TD

LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
Lucky man, have fun Ray!

Registered
nissan 99gu patrol ute st
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah thanks guys, good trip so far.
Last night we were having drinks on the beach at cape hillsborough , love that place.
We are at alligator creek roadhouse for tonight.
Tomorrow up to palmcove for two days.
We are going to do the Kuranda skyway & train.
Will have pics & trip report when we get home. Cheers.

Registered
If you're not towing a trailer (I presume you're not!) have a look at doing the maytown track and also the CREB (if it's open).

Registered
we were told the creb will be shut until at least the 15th august. (we rang cairns city council and cook town shire)
well, thats only barely a fortnight away - perhaps do it on the way back. The Maytown track is well worthwhile, brings you out at Laura, then do whatever you are doing up the cape, come back via Cooktown and see if the CREB is open...

just an idea for you :p

Premium Member
nissan
The last time I went to Roaring Meg Falls (June 2012) I called the Cairns City Council and asked if the CREB was open. They said no so I went the long way up the Bloomfield and back down the top of the CREB to the top gate where the turn off to the falls is. It is normal for this gate to be open even when the track is closed because the locals that live along it get tired of opening and closing it. What matters is that the gate has the OPEN sign in place and wouldn't you know it that's exactly how I found it. My suggestion is to give CJ Fischer a call (07 4060 3173) and ask if the track is open and what's it like. He is one of the local indigenous land custodians whose permission should be sought if camping at Roaring Meg on the track. There is no charge to camp there but they like to be asked.

Cheers,

Registered
nissan
thats great advice on the creb! whish I had known that, oh well next time! As for by yourself we did it and I am by no means a mechanic! Got the car checked over twice before leaving and took common spares, hoses, shocks, oil, brake fluid etc. There are lots of people up there and it is by no means what I would call remote. Maybe it would be remote out of peak times. Also common sense is a real winner by yourself, we have what I would call a reasonably capable car, 35's locker's etc but as we were by ourselves I took the easier of most of the options of crossings/ obstacle. We didn't drive 3000km to wreck our car or not make it to the top!

Registered
nissan
Whats the worst trouble you could get into doing this on your own?
You could roll your vehicle and or trailer.

I did it in June by myself, with a box trailer. Given the choice I would leave the trailer at home, and put less on the roof.

I passed one patrol Ute going the other way in the whole trip.

The track is very up/down and rocky. Quite a few spots where you have to lean one way or the other. The less weight on the roof, the better.

There's a section of 20-25km where I went 1st gear low only, maybe 2nd gear occasionally.

Allow 2 days, so you don't need to rush.

There's a few videos on YouTube. Mind you they were taken a year or three ago. Tracks never get better with time, use and weather.

Stock vehicles should go with company (I have scratches, so it's not stock).

If I had one piece of advice, it is to take your time and assess each obstacle as new, and against you, and your vehicles capabilities.

Speed kills:

Drive a 2.8 and live longer!

Registered
nissan 99gu patrol ute st
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well we just got set up at palmcove tourist park for for a couple of days & yes we are towing a c/trailer.
We have us & another couple with a new fully kitted out hilux & camper.
We will be going up the Bloomfield track then maybe having a look at R/Meg falls.
Tim we would be doing the whole trip ourselves if no one else was able to do it with us, Cheers.

Premium Member
nissan
We will be going up the Bloomfield track then maybe having a look at R/Meg falls.
This will require you to head down the CREB track from the northern end. There is no sign at the turnoff and without accurate info you will miss it and find yourself at the Bloomfield shop which proudly displays signs like "About 30% of visitors actually find the places they are looking for" and "We are happy to give advice to paying customers" or something along those lines. The following pic from google earth shows where you leave the bitumen.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=161393&stc=1&d=1406732109

The Bloomfield causeway is in the lower left corner of the pic to give some reference where things are. Once you turn off the bitumen you need to take a hard left after about 200m and you immediately start a steep climb to take you up on top of the ridge. Continue to follow the road until you get to the CREB gate. When you reach the gate there is a track that runs off to the left which leads to the falls.

Cheers,

Attachments

Premium Member
nissan
Well we've done the Bloomfield track,no dramas.
Steep isn't it?

Spent the night at Ayton then checked out Roaring Meg Falls the next day, the falls were great.
Where did you stay in Ayton? Glad you got to RM falls. After rereading my directions I realised i gave no indication how far down the track to the gate. Was the CREB open or closed by the sign on the gate?

We are at Cooktown for a couple of days then tomorrow on to Musgrave river roadhouse via Lakefield n/park.
Cheers.
Musgrave is not much of a camp spot but definitely worth dropping in if only for its historic value. It does have the advantage of toilets and showers though, "The Bend" just north of Coen is a better spot to camp and is free.

Elim Beach near Hopevale is worth checking out if you have the time. Eddies Camp is run by one of the local elders and is a glorious location.

If you get the chance, some pics of the trip would be great.

Cheers,

1 - 20 of 53 Posts