Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
nissan
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, will be heading up to the cape in 2011:D and would like to know what time would be best to head up, thinking mid may leaving ipswich. Been told will be to early, to much water around and such. I am keen to go a little early just so i can have a bit more harder style 4wding, but don't want to be the 1st person doing the trip! I have also been told that the CREB track will be closed this year? anyone know if this would be true? Cheers.

Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
I believe the middle of the year is better!:)

Registered
nissan
If possible, try and time it so you don't go within 2 weeks of the school holidays, way too many people. The Creb track seems to have these rumours every year, and every year it opens.

Registered
Nissan
Forbsy the earlier you go the better... last two trips i did were May 20th from Port Douglas & no problems except the Frenchmans track was impassible as the Pascoe river was way too deep..
You may have seen Roothy there on the DVD we ran into them at Archer River & were a couple of days ahead of thier schedule.

Mid May is fine no problem unless there is a late wet season & it has started eary this year so might finish early too have to wait and see....... Reasons to go early are - less traffic, no rubbish scattered everywhere, camp site not butchered by tourists, fishing is way better in May, everything is fresh & green but give it a couple of months & she dries out real quick & then the dust becomes a pain, early the track is not hacked up & corrogated & you dont have toilet paper & rubbish around the camp sites..

Crebb Track has not openned this year at all so who know what will happen next year... check with Cairns regional Ciouncil & you will need to phone them they dont post anything on thier website.... C**KH***S....

There is heaps of info on the internet & we go up that way quite alot so listen to the locals not those that have been once or not at all.... Phone Archer River Roadhouse for road updates re- coonditions & closures or call the Rangers they are very happy.

Try to include a run through Maytown its a fun trip nothing too hard & you will be driving straight past it.

Registered
Nissan
Oh yeh i definately agree with avoiding school holidays so try to go before the second holidays which i think are mid June next year...

Anytime is better than no time so enjoy & you will have a ball eveyone does even if you go in September its better than being at work or home..

Registered
nissan
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, yeah i like what your saying towie, cleaner camp grounds and everything still being green, thats what i would like to have. (better for photos too) i spose i won't mind camping at a river crossing for a night so the level can come down a little if need be, give me more fishing time i guess.
cheers.

Registered
nissan patrol 2003 gu
I'll be leaving Airlie Beach (live here) on May the 7th/8th heading to Weipa for a few days fishing & then to the Cape if passable. PM me to plan if you want to.

Registered
Nissan Safari
Went this year in July, never again...too many muppets up there who don't know what they are doing. Going back 2012 in April after seeing Rothys vid. Want to be first trucks on tracks to make it more interesting. may would be a good time to go IMHO.
Al

Registered
nissan patrol
we are planning on going from the gold coast on the 16th of may this year for four weeks. we will be towing a Kimberly camper, it was a trade off as the tent was not going to cut it seeing as it is our honneymoon, so if anyone else is heading up around this time, feel free to pm me .

Registered
nissan
I'm stuck with going in the July school holidays this year:( But at least I am going:) Might be the last chance I get to go with both my boys.

Sleep wise what do you guys recon? I'm thinking mozzie net over a mattress (with a tarp as backup if it rains) Otherwise swags, but I don't want to be too hot when sleeping. Idea's?

Registered
Nissan
Avoid school holidays. The mozzies depend on where you are and what the weather has been like. With a 1 in 100 year La Ni帽a event like we are having, there could be a bit of water and a few mozzies.

Premium Member
nissan
The wife and I are leaving Melbourne around the 3rd week of May.
Will be stopping in Cairns to meet up with a friend and heading up from there for a few weeks.
I havn't given any thought to the route we'll take yet, just been reading suggestions on here
and will compile something closer to the day.

Registered
nissan
Spoke with the Cook Regional Council today and they told me the Crebb should be opening in june this year. Check this site out for road conditions it may help, Cooktown and Cape York Peninsula there is a link to road conditions on the home page.

We're planning on heading to the cape in the 3rd week of April, probably won't make it there given the rain but it will be one hell of an adventure trying.

Registered
nissan
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have booked in my hoildays, 4 weeks off and leaving ipswich on the 16th of may. still to work out where to go and places to see, getting told to many places so prob do a lilttle bit more research before i make up my mind, just wing it i reckon lol.

Registered
Hi Guys, here is the link to find out if the Creb track is open or closed.

Wet Tropics - News and Issues

Normally it is closed for the wet season or if there is unseasonal rain periods through the year. The track is the service track for the power lines to cook town, so Ergon don't like their track being carved up by 35" tyres during the wet. Also this track is pretty much impassible if wet - long and high mountain ranges and creeks.

Registered
nissan patrol
Im going to the Cape June/July 2011. Im leaving Karratha WA around 29th-30th of May and hope to be in Cairns around the 4th of June give or take a day and will head to the Cape from there. I plan on 4 weeks up there and as it's my first time up the Cape i'll be winging it so no real plan yet. Looks like there will be a few forum members up there so hopefully we can meet meet up.

Registered
nissan patrol
DON'T rely on the website for closures on the CREB track. If ya do, you'll never get there. The council want it closed cos it has no purpose since the power line was moved, Ring the Cairns council.

Or sneak on half way. Via the Upper Daintree road at the northern end of the Bloomfield track. (ya did'nt hear it from me!!)

Registered
DON'T rely on the website for closures on the CREB track. If ya do, you'll never get there. The council want it closed cos it has no purpose since the power line was moved, Ring the Cairns council.

Or sneak on half way. Via the Upper Daintree road at the northern end of the Bloomfield track. (ya did'nt hear it from me!!)
Have you ever driven the creb track????

I've found the website reliable as it is managed by the wet tropics.

Registered
nissan patrol
Last time we were up there it was shut again. We took the Upper Daintree road for something different. It brought us out about half way along the Creb track. It was dry and perfectly graded and hard. A couple of times we checked the website and rang the council. Just as a matter of interest. They both had different answers. We had also been told not to trust the website but to ring.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts