Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
How rocky and rutted is it now days, would my son in his Subaru Forester have enough ground clearance or not a hope in hell.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How rocky and rutted is it now days, would my son in his Subaru Forester have enough ground clearance or not a hope in hell.
He would be fine as long as he didnt take any of the tracks down to the water

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,052 Posts
Quality looking area, looks as the water runs hard with the timber @ high water. Checked out parks.dpaw looks inviting. Did book mark and hope to get over that way in time.
Is dry time the most appropriate travelling as one veh (is it relatively quiet)..

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
Cheers, looking for a few fairly safe practice tracks.
He took it into Wilbinga with a few mates in a Suzuki Sierra and Jimny on Friday and the Subaru managed very well in the soft sand except for a patch of rocks that managed to remove the plastic guard under the sump and dented the sump a bit. Looks like dad needs to make him a bash or skid plate to keep the sump intact. They a re a good fun little car but not much ground clearance.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quality looking area, looks as the water runs hard with the timber @ high water. Checked out parks.dpaw looks inviting. Did book mark and hope to get over that way in time.
Is dry time the most appropriate travelling as one veh (is it relatively quiet)..
I would prefer this area when its a bit wet and cooler. Bit to dry at the moment. Its a dust fest

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,052 Posts
Thanks, June- late Aug is when I can get away (generally quieter which suits).

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
Thanks, June- late Aug is when I can get away (generally quieter which suits).
Yes agreed with what klappers said, it better when it's a little wet rather than dusty dry. The parks do however close the tracks if it has been really wet. There are a few river crossings some are almost permanently closed just because they would prefer you to use a more well formed concrete ford.

Avoid Easter it is stupidly busy and all the idiots are there to get in the way or block up all the camp sites.

·
Registered
nissan
848 Posts
This was a gem of a spot I found last year. Was still plenty of water running.

Heaps of rubbish etc but not where we camped.

Track in seemed to sort most people out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
848 Posts
Cheers, looking for a few fairly safe practice tracks.
He took it into Wilbinga with a few mates in a Suzuki Sierra and Jimny on Friday and the Subaru managed very well in the soft sand except for a patch of rocks that managed to remove the plastic guard under the sump and dented the sump a bit. Looks like dad needs to make him a bash or skid plate to keep the sump intact. They a re a good fun little car but not much ground clearance.
There used to be a guy up north that made metal sump guards for them for $100. I put a fist sized dent in mine. Great on the beach until you lift a wheel.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
There used to be a guy up north that made metal sump guards for them for $100. I put a fist sized dent in mine. Great on the beach until you lift a wheel.
Might have a go at making one have a few large sheets of spare ally plate.

This was a gem of a spot I found last year. Was still plenty of water running.

Heaps of rubbish etc but not where we camped.

Track in seemed to sort most people out.
Is that the spot further up river out of the national park area? We used to regularly go down there at Easter but then they started closing gates and blocking off tracks because the numbers camped in Lane Pool and at the Baden Powel camp area and every other one along the way were out of hand.

·
Registered
nissan
848 Posts
As far as I know it’s still still in NP.

Reactions: klappers

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,666 Posts
After reading this thread I now know there is a Murray River in WA. 👍

Reactions: klappers and turps
1 - 20 of 20 Posts