Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if any truck transport companies will allow you to ship a fully loaded patrol?

Reason I ask is that I live in far north Qld and I'm keen to do some driving around the Vic/ NSW alpine areas and maybe the simpson but I'm not to keen on wasting half of my holiday just driving to and from the fun stuff. Ive used a few transport companies in the past and they have always stated that the car can't be loaded.

I'm keen to hear peoples thoughts on this one, particularly if your've given it a go before.

Cheers, Luke.

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Ceva wont allow it, they wouldn't even allow me a blanket in the back seat (anal)

·
Registered
nissan
1,422 Posts
Suppose it's a weight issue on the truck not knowing how much weight you patrol really is could put it over costing thousands?

My un educated guess

·
Registered
nissan
1,177 Posts
Perhaps look into a shipping container ?, can fit a car and whatever camping gear you want in one of those, not sure on the exact cost or logistics, but just thought id throw it out there as a option ,just in case it is a viable option ? :)

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Do they require they have the keys to your car? :S Sounds like a perfect meal for thieves. :(

Maybe a private towing mob would be more lenient??

·
Registered
430 Posts
Do they require they have the keys to your car? :S Sounds like a perfect meal for thieves. :(

Maybe a private towing mob would be more lenient??

I think this would be more the issue. I reckon your car would leave full & arrive empty........

·
Banned
2,050 Posts
Hi,

Build a good crate that will go on a forklift, put all your stuff in it and have it shipped to a Freight company depot. ( check with them about contents, gas bottles are a no no, but they are cheap ) Get the 4x sent empty, Collect it then load up. If you paint the crate ( so rain wont affect it ) the company may let you store it out back in their yard. Reverse to go home.

Regards B M

·
BLACK BETTY
607 Posts
Try some of the general carters. May be look for some extra cash as a back load. Even try some of the machinery/wide load carries. Often there will have a load only one way. You may not get all the way down but might save a little time.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Rail?

I think it's a great idea, I want to spend a few weeks in the Alps myself but had the same thoughts as you - at least 4 days lost just driving there and I've seen everything in between...

·
Registered
378 Posts
i think if you have a rail option you should try them as i have freighted a fully laden car and trailer together from perth to adelaide without any issues that was with FCL

·
Registered
nissan
11,155 Posts
IMO I could see the cost of this operation being more than the cost of taking a few extra days off and driving down. Transport mobs want a fortune to move cars from what I've seen

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Maybe work won't allow the extra time off... i can understand. I like the idea of shipping continer - they're relatively cheap to buy too...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Camping gear hire?

Camping Gear Hire

This one is Morwell, close to Vic High Country.

Or a hire a camp trailer, all those usually have fridges & things to hire as well.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Maybe work won't allow the extra time off... i can understand. I like the idea of shipping continer - they're relatively cheap to buy too...
There was a whole group of old steamers off EO I think that used sea to get their loaded cars up to Qld. at the time (4-5 yr ago) it was the cheapest option.

Failing that, nothing else would be financially viable to do. If you went by road freight you'd be hiring 1/2 a semi or going 1/2s with a mate in the whole deck without trailers that is and that is going to be out of the question $ wise..

·
Registered
nissan
14 Posts
If you can't take extra time off, drive it as far south as you can the weekend before. Put it in secure parking somewhere and fly home, then you can fly back down when your ready for your trip, it'll cost you a 3rd of transporting it e.g. sydney or Newcastle (almost there) easy drive in 2 days from Cairns, truckies do it all the time.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
If you can't take extra time off, drive it as far south as you can the weekend before. Put it in secure parking somewhere and fly home, then you can fly back down when your ready for your trip, it'll cost you a 3rd of transporting it e.g. sydney or Newcastle (almost there) easy drive in 2 days from Cairns, truckies do it all the time.
just ask to borrow their mirror and straw off them.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Give furniture removelists a go. I shifted heaps of cars / fully loaded utes in them for work.

·
Over there somewhere...
Nissan
666 Posts
Single car or two cars on a truck (shared) works out about $3k each. I got quotes recently, and the cars had to be empty of everything.

Make sure you get insurance though. We just had our boat moved through Govt removals and they trashed the canopy. Over $700 to fix and what an argument they put up.

·
Registered
nissan
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the replies. I will do some more research on this one but u have given me some great places to look. I think rail, sea and container freighting is well worth looking at and I'll definatly speak to some furniture removal places aswell.

Cheers, Luke

1 - 20 of 27 Posts