Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Nissan Patrol Wagon, Manual ZD30
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed my MAF sensor, genuine from Gary. Disconnected battery for an hour to reset the ecu. Drove the car for about 25/30 seconds and it totally shut off. Now it won’t start, starter motor cranks but engine doesn’t actually start up

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don’t have consult, any other way to read them?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,931 Posts
don’t have consult, any other way to read them?
Download the bible from the DI archives and read the section on manually reading codes. Or, go to a mechanic that has some form of scanner.

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
577 Posts
Just unplug the MAF, and see if you manage to start. Sometimes no MAF is better than a failing MAF.
And then check the MAF connection, and that the connector is well and fully inserted (you must get a 'click' noise ).

ECU is VERY sensitive to MAF values.

When you switch ON the key, without starting, the MAF value goes from 0V to 1V in about 2 seconds. IF MAF voltage stays below, at something like 0.2V to 0.4V ( 0V if fine, as ECU sees it as 'NO MAF - go to degraded mode' ) the car won't even start.

Motor ON, when Idle, MAF value is supposed to be between 1.6V and 2.0V.
Still works above 1.4-1.5V and also below 2.2V. Above 2.3V, you get an error code.

Here is key ON - key OFF - key ON with motor still OFF, then start and idle sequences on my 2000 MAF (cyan curve) & MAP (green curve)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just unplug the MAF, and see if you manage to start. Sometimes no MAF is better than a failing MAF.
And then check the MAF connection, and that the connector is well and fully inserted (you must get a 'click' noise ).

ECU is VERY sensitive to MAF values.

When you switch ON the key, without starting, the MAF value goes from 0V to 1V in about 2 seconds. IF MAF voltage stays below, at something like 0.2V to 0.4V ( 0V if fine, as ECU sees it as 'NO MAF - go to degraded mode' ) the car won't even start.

Motor ON, when Idle, MAF value is supposed to be between 1.6V and 2.0V.
Still works above 1.4-1.5V and also below 2.2V. Above 2.3V, you get an error code.

Here is key ON - key OFF - key ON with motor still OFF, then start and idle sequences on my 2000 MAF (cyan curve) & MAP (green curve)

View attachment 519713
Thanks, i will unplug the sensor today and take a look. the plug is missing but its connected via spade connectors, 99% sure its connected properly

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay so ive read the fault codes, and in all honesty, its looking bad. they are as follows

0102 Mass Air Flow Sensor
Circuit, Sensor or ECM failure (i think this is just cause the MAF was unplugged when i did the test)

0103 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
(excessively high or low voltage at ECM)
Circuit, Sensor or ECM failure

0403 Accelerator Position Sensor
(out of range signal received from sensor or switch assembly)
Circuit malfunction, Accelerator Position Sensor failure,
Accelerator Pedal Dual Contact Position Switch failure, ECM failure

0406 INT/AIR volume (excessively high signal from Mass Air Flow Sensor)
Air Duct, Charge Air cooler, Variable Nozzle Turbo Charger Control System,
Variable Nozzle Turbo Charger, Mass Air Flow Sensor failure, Circuit malfunction

0703 Pump Communication Line
(incorrect signal from the Injection Pump Control Unit)
Refer to Injection Pump Control Unit
Circuit malfunction, Injection Pump Control Unit

0705 Pump Control Module
Circuit malfunction, Injection Pump Control Unit failure

0905 Turbo Pressure
Circuit malfunction, Charge Air Pressure Sensor failure

1401 to 1408 Nissan Anti Theft System (1403 for me)

How bad is all this, im hoping the MAF sensor stuff isnt a problem, and im guessing I need a new expensive injector pump, but what about the rest, how bad is all this stuff, and whats the price of repair likely to be (ballpark figure)

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,931 Posts
Okay so ive read the fault codes, and in all honesty, its looking bad. they are as follows

0102 Mass Air Flow Sensor
Circuit, Sensor or ECM failure (i think this is just cause the MAF was unplugged when i did the test)
Yes most likely

Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
(excessively high or low voltage at ECM)
Circuit, Sensor or ECM failure
needs to be checked after ecu reset, not good can effect many things.

Accelerator Position Sensor
(out of range signal received from sensor or switch assembly)
Circuit malfunction, Accelerator Position Sensor failure,
Accelerator Pedal Dual Contact Position Switch failure, ECM failure
needs to be rechecked after ECU reset, there is a thread on cleaning the unit in the archives.

INT/AIR volume (excessively high signal from Mass Air Flow Sensor)
Air Duct, Charge Air cooler, Variable Nozzle Turbo Charger Control System,
Variable Nozzle Turbo Charger, Mass Air Flow Sensor failure, Circuit malfunction
This could just due to hi boost at some time, not really a general concern.

Pump Communication Line
(incorrect signal from the Injection Pump Control Unit)
Refer to Injection Pump Control Unit
Circuit malfunction, Injection Pump Control Unit
This can happen if the vehicle has had to be cranked a few times without starting, can also be caused by a damaged crank angle sensor, lastly, yes it can be an IP fault.

Pump Control Module
Circuit malfunction, Injection Pump Control Unit failure
Can happen for similar reasons as above but could also be an issue with the plug.

Turbo Pressure
Circuit malfunction, Charge Air Pressure Sensor failure
MAP sensor mainly but could also reflect issue with MAF being disconnected

1401 to 1408
Nissan Anti Theft System (1403 for me)
Now your getting into unknown territory, again rechack after ECU reset (disconnection of battery for 15 od minutes.)

How bad is all this, im hoping the MAF sensor stuff isnt a problem, and im guessing I need a new expensive injector pump, but what about the rest, how bad is all this stuff, and whats the price of repair likely to be (ballpark figure)
Clear them all and go again, sometimes codes can hang around and you get old ones, expand quote and read notes above.

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
577 Posts
start with checking your MAF sensor, since it is the one you last changed.
Bad/loose earth could be the cause, either on the MAF, or elsewhere.

When you have a bad earth reference, the voltage seen by the ECU coming from a sensor can well exceed 5V on the PATROL, leading the ECU to believe sensors are wrong ( here MAF, MAP, Engine coolant Temp... etc ), due to that excessive voltage measured.

Since you changed the MAF, most probably it has to do with MAF, but you may also have a loose earthing connection somewhere, including on your ECU. go to the archive and get the NISSAN documentation if not done already. EL section.

·
Registered
nissan
2,186 Posts
Have you check if the the 20amp engine fuse in the fusebox under the bonnet is blown?

Try swapping the ECU relay. The ECU relay is a brown relay found above the fusebox inside the vehicle. There is another brown relay in the relay box beside the battery under the bonnet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone, I’ll get onto all this tomorrow as the car is about 45 mins away cause I can’t move it. Will update with results

·
Registered
07 Black Patrol 3.0 / 04 Grey 3.0 Patrol / 01 3.0 Patrol
1,364 Posts
Injection pump! Maybe coincedense and it was it's time to go!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts