Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been catching up on the news after being away for a few days, and it looks like the PM Bob Brown has finally announced a Carbon Tax, to be introduced next year, with even more later on.

For all of you that voted Labor, Green, Independent, thanks for fcuking nothing! :-x

Cheers

Ray

·
It's all good
nissan patrol
4,206 Posts
^^^^^^^^^Great looking bunch aren't they , they've got the countries best interests at heart :rolleyes:

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd just like to point out to those who may not quite understand what this means, but if this tax gets through, then we will effectively have two, parallel, GSTs (and just wait for the mining tax). This has nothing to do with saving the human race, but all to do with keeping Labor in power by appeasing the Greens and Independents (money to splurge on things that achieve nothing), and getting Labor out of an incredible debt mire (for the time being). Guess who pays?

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
I'll tip that within 12 months they will give up on the idea as there will be far bigger problems for Australia.

Cheers

Justin

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
So big industry and electricity producers will reduce carbon emmissions because of this tax.
Bullshiiit! Many have been creating ways to do it for years already with success, or something is very corrupt in the EPA department because our laws are strict.
They'll just raise the prices to compensate and the cost of everything will just go up and flow on to you and me the consumer while the government gets richer. (in Labors case, less poorer)
Labour is getting real desperate now to raise revenue to compensate for the mismanagement of our economy and the debt they got us into.

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,804 Posts
I left Nz because of this and GSt going to 15%. It's just another way the ba**ards managed to ply our hard earned bucks out of us. Prices are going to skyrocket, they did in NZ. And that's everything not just energy products. Everything uses oil one way or another.
Al

·
Registered
nissan gq ti patrol
61 Posts
I'd just like to point out to those who may not quite understand what this means, but if this tax gets through, then we will effectively have two, parallel, GSTs (and just wait for the mining tax). This has nothing to do with saving the human race, but all to do with keeping Labor in power by appeasing the Greens and Independents (money to splurge on things that achieve nothing), and getting Labor out of an incredible debt mire (for the time being). Guess who pays?

Cheers

Ray[/QUOTE

ray is right on the money with that one

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
The first lineup for when we start public executions perhaps?

Id only be shedding tears cause the arts student Sarah Hanson Young would still be breathing.

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
My only comment on this matter is.. Workchoices did to Howard what this Carbon tax will do to Gillard.

·
Registered
nissan MQ
185 Posts
The whole idea is to reduce greenhouse gases. Surely if prices of most things go up people will buy less - less stuff for their houses, less food ( since a lot of it is wasted and many Australians inclusing myself eat far too much for own good), less gadgets for their 4x4, less petrol ( hey, some people, like myself, might get back on our bikes, or start walking to the shop ) less kms next time we go out bush ( do we really have to boast that we have driven every track in every state before we can be satisfied that we have lived a happy life ), . . . .

All sounds good to me. And I am not a rich man. But not poor either. I earn about $55,000 a year, but do own my own little house and owe the bank nothing.

For the sake of the planet we need to pull our horns in a bit. And stop having so many babies. The Earth is over-run by humans. Every time we make a new baby it is going to use up huge amounts of resources in its lifetime. We don't need them. The Earth does not need them. Not till we reduce our numbers by several billion.

And Julia has explained that some of that carbon tax will be used to protect the interests of the poor. Those that are not earning the big dollars and who will need some help paying for food and electricity.

I think its time that people started thinking about the planet a bit, and not just about their own economic welfare. I think Australians have been the lucky country for over 200 years. Its time we took a reality check. We really are just part of the whole 7 billion population on a small planet. We have been very lucky to have this luxurious lifestyle, but if we keep breeding as we have in the past, and keep expecting to have more of everything each year . . . Its just not physically possible. Or politically possible. Or economically possible.

I can see the sense in a carbon tax. But I never really understood the carbon trading idea. They reckon the carbon tax is a transitory thing until the carbon trading kicks in a few years down the track.

·
Registered
nissan
401 Posts
The whole idea is to reduce greenhouse gases. Surely if prices of most things go up people will buy less - less stuff for their houses, less food ( since a lot of it is wasted and many Australians inclusing myself eat far too much for own good), less gadgets for their 4x4, less petrol ( hey, some people, like myself, might get back on our bikes, or start walking to the shop ) less kms next time we go out bush ( do we really have to boast that we have driven every track in every state before we can be satisfied that we have lived a happy life ), . . . .

All sounds good to me. And I am not a rich man. But not poor either. I earn about $55,000 a year, but do own my own little house and owe the bank nothing.

For the sake of the planet we need to pull our horns in a bit. And stop having so many babies. The Earth is over-run by humans. Every time we make a new baby it is going to use up huge amounts of resources in its lifetime. We don't need them. The Earth does not need them. Not till we reduce our numbers by several billion.

And Julia has explained that some of that carbon tax will be used to protect the interests of the poor. Those that are not earning the big dollars and who will need some help paying for food and electricity.

I think its time that people started thinking about the planet a bit, and not just about their own economic welfare. I think Australians have been the lucky country for over 200 years. Its time we took a reality check. We really are just part of the whole 7 billion population on a small planet. We have been very lucky to have this luxurious lifestyle, but if we keep breeding as we have in the past, and keep expecting to have more of everything each year . . . Its just not physically possible. Or politically possible. Or economically possible.

I can see the sense in a carbon tax. But I never really understood the carbon trading idea. They reckon the carbon tax is a transitory thing until the carbon trading kicks in a few years down the track.
You sound like a politician............

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
For the sake of the planet we need to pull our horns in a bit. And stop having so many babies. The Earth is over-run by humans. Every time we make a new baby it is going to use up huge amounts of resources in its lifetime. We don't need them. The Earth does not need them. Not till we reduce our numbers by several billion.Yes, the earth is starting to get full. Should australians stop having babies? No. We are already looking at a declining/aging workforce. As all you older codgers start to retire the government has an issue - it can't afford for you all to be on the pension and the Superannuation scheme does not really work so there's no help there. The future I and many others in my sort of age bracket have to look forward to is working well into our 60's and hopefully we will die before we run out of money. Redistributing the world's population is a better option but it does not work for obvious cultural problems. You can blame over population on religion and a lack of contraceptive education and availability (a non existent problem in the Western world....mainly just willful ignorance)

And Julia has explained that some of that carbon tax will be used to protect the interests of the poor. Those that are not earning the big dollars and who will need some help paying for food and electricity. That is bull**** and you know it. If she was serious about making their lives better she would not be looking to further increase the cost of literally everything. Do you seriously believe what she says?

I think its time that people started thinking about the planet a bit, and not just about their own economic welfare. I think Australians have been the lucky country for over 200 years. Its time we took a reality check. We really are just part of the whole 7 billion population on a small planet. We have been very lucky to have this luxurious lifestyle, but if we keep breeding as we have in the past, and keep expecting to have more of everything each year . . . Its just not physically possible. Or politically possible. Or economically possible.the planet can get stuffed. That volcano which recently erupted spewed more CO2 into the atmosphere than australia produces in a year. The earth has inbuilt cycles and balances which work to even out and repair problems - climate change is a NORMAL process and while we have likely contributed to it we are not the sole cause of it. Regardless, trying to clean up our act now??? WTF!!! TOO LATE! The train has left the station - damage is done. It will take more than 10yrs of the government taxing the crap out of us to make a measurable difference in our pollution output.

I can see the sense in a carbon tax. But I never really understood the carbon trading idea. They reckon the carbon tax is a transitory thing until the carbon trading kicks in a few years down the track.A carbon tax is design to take money from you and put it in the government's pocket. In this case it is so labor can start to begin paying off the MASSIVE debt they have left this country in as a result of the Rudd government's gross mis-management of tax payer money. A carbon trading idea is perfectly valid assuming there are other countries to trade with (ignoring that it again will cost tax payers ALOT of money). Which there isn't. So Juliar is simlpy trying to make a bit more cash for the government AND keep C0ck-sucking Bob happy.
you sound like a politician because you blindly accept incorrect information??

edit; just realised you are a school teacher!!! that is why. :p I hope you don't teach your opinions to students.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
For the sake of the planet we need to pull our horns in a bit. .
why ? the planet doesnt care, if the planet has had enough of us then it will get rid of us, the earth will keep going long after we are gone

the problem at the moment on earth is money,greed and power, they have the technology now so we could have a lifestyle where we dont produce greenhouse gases( which is a rort IMO), the problem is that too many people would loose money and power, the economy is based on fossil fuels , take that away and the economy would crash, now they are looking ahead for something to fill the void

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.