Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people how are all.
Just curious to hear from you coil ute guys about weight in the back, I know rear leaves would be better for this but would pefer a coil cab. I see that some ute owners here have there utes loaded up with different types of canopies so my question is what kid of weight have or can you get on the back of a coil ute before it effects suspension flexing. And im talking about the newer 2008+ 3l utes. Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
375 Posts
I can't really comment on what is an acceptable on stock loads, however you could always get new springs to support constant loads of varying amounts if you're concerned. I would think stock would sag fairly quick with a fair bit of weight as a constant load.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,229 Posts
I have a 3L ute with coils. Its got a steel tray, canvas canopy and rear winch cradle. It's got a 3" lift.
I have no dramas with weight. I've travelled a bit with about 400kg load in the tray. I have airbag in the spring to help when weighted down and I've strengthened the coil towers with a cross brace.
This is it loaded.

Weight does not affect (limit) flexing.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu4.2
1,085 Posts
My 2002 coil cab that has poly airs and constantly carries 3400kg before being loaded. I have braced the coil towers but it has handled everything I've thrown at it so far

·
Registered
nissan
336 Posts
A simple check of your rego papers will tell you this. Find the Aggregate & subtract the Tare.

My leaf sprung cruiser with steel tray was licensed to carry up to 1 ton. Alloy trays are only up to 750kg I think. But that's with leaves. I don't know what coil sprung utes are lic'd to carry but it varies depending on your tray & stock suspension rates. You can change your springs obviously but you need to be sure that the rego of your ute is for stock springs & hasn't been reg'd to carry heavier load due to spring change before you go changing the springs, thinking you're upgrading. If you do change springs, check that the springs you get are rated for the load you want to carry & are rated at least equally to the car's reg'd weight restrictions.

If you're still worried, fit adjustable shocks like Tough Dog 9 stage so you can harden them when under load, taking some of the stress off your springs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts