Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Been a while since I've been on these forums but haven't been able to find my answer so I thought I'd back to the OG of knowledge.

I've had the 4601 installed for a couple of years now, I've heard these pumps are really reliable however my experience shows otherwise... I keep getting the problem of the pump getting stuck.. It would be dead, no noise and not pumping anything through until I get it a tap/whack then it will start up again. Then sure enough I would stop again sometimes later (within the same day).

Anyone else have this problem? Is the pump serviceable so I can pull it apart to see what's the go?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
Hi all,

Been a while since I've been on these forums but haven't been able to find my answer so I thought I'd back to the OG of knowledge.

I've had the 4601 installed for a couple of years now, I've heard these pumps are really reliable however my experience shows otherwise... I keep getting the problem of the pump getting stuck.. It would be dead, no noise and not pumping anything through until I get it a tap/whack then it will start up again. Then sure enough I would stop again sometimes later (within the same day).

Anyone else have this problem? Is the pump serviceable so I can pull it apart to see what's the go?
Not my experience and I have had 2, the original 4600 is now a spare after I went to a 4601 for more pressure and that has been on for many years now. But, I have heard stories of Carters with plastic internals and not the metal internals they should have, whether these were counterfeit or not, who knows, but I do know Darren Dawes had issues with counterfeit Dawes valves a few years ago.

Maybe pull it apart and have a look, BTW I consciously didn't put a pre filter on mine because they are tough, used as OEM on US vehicles over the years, hence why I chose that direction. Where did you buy it from out of interest?

·
Registered
nissan
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bought mine from Rocket Industries, confident that these are genuine pumps. I've actually been through 2 pumps, the last one was replaced within a year because of the same issue... it was getting stuck until I give it a whack, got sent to the US for inspection and they replaced it for free with this one. Working for over a year and this new pump started playing up again.

Are these pumps easy to open? Is it a serviceable pump? I can see the case is crimped on the outside so hoping I can just unscrew it from the top....

In terms of installation, I have it mounted right next to the brake proportioning valve on top and infront of the fuel tank. I believe cabling is sufficient cause it never drops under 12v at the pump while running.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
Bought mine from Rocket Industries, confident that these are genuine pumps. I've actually been through 2 pumps, the last one was replaced within a year because of the same issue... it was getting stuck until I give it a whack, got sent to the US for inspection and they replaced it for free with this one. Working for over a year and this new pump started playing up again.

Are these pumps easy to open? Is it a serviceable pump? I can see the case is crimped on the outside so hoping I can just unscrew it from the top....

In terms of installation, I have it mounted right next to the brake proportioning valve on top and infront of the fuel tank. I believe cabling is sufficient cause it never drops under 12v at the pump while running.
Mystery then, I bought both of mine through Rocket Industries, know many people here and in the US that have them.
This is my old 4600, as you can see motor is crimped to body but you can remove the top plate.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,062 Posts
I have a 4601 which has run without problems for a long time now - years.

I have a pre-filter for mine, and it always has some small matter in it when I service it. The pump is also in an enclosed tool box for protection. You can unscrew the top plate to inspect it.

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
284 Posts
The Carter pumps made in China are not the same quality as the USA made ones, my brother had purchased a Chinese one 2 years ago which lasted about a week. Had it replaced under warranty has it failed internally. It had to be opened up by the performance shop to find were it failed .I requested an USA original instead of a Chinese type but was told everything is made in China.l was told most are repaired by the performance shop as replacements parts are ordered from China unless there is shop with old stock of USA made ones available.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
The Carter pumps made in China are not the same quality as the USA made ones, my brother had purchased a Chinese one 2 years ago which lasted about a week. Had it replaced under warranty has it failed internally. It had to be opened up by the performance shop to find were it failed .I requested an USA original instead of a Chinese type but was told everything is made in China.l was told most are repaired by the performance shop as replacements parts are ordered from China unless there is shop with old stock of USA made ones available.
This may have something to do with my reference to metal internals as opposed to plastic internals, when he pulls it apart the question may be answered.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,417 Posts
I had two 4600s fail within 3 months, both with pre filters. Being a sliding vane type I thought there wasn’t much that could go wrong. After two failures I wasn’t impressed but reading this maybe mine were Chinese rubbish? It was about 5 or 6 years ago I think, maybe a bit longer.
Haven’t tried a 4601 after I had a sour taste from the other type.

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
284 Posts
The Chinese made is definitely quieter compared to the USA made one

1 - 9 of 9 Posts