Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
02 GU ZD30
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi crew,

Been reading alot of the lift pump advice and picked myself up a 4601. Initially was fine, no issues. A few weeks in and I've suddenly started having issues starting the patrol. It will crank and crank before it eventually fires. I checked battery, glowplugs to no avail. Tried starting with the lift pump off using the bypass and it fired pretty much first try like I was used too.

So if its struggling for fuel on start (seems strange), but runs fine with the pump on and I've noticed the better low down power improvements people claim, where's the issue? My fuel filter has 16k kms on it and I'm about to change it, has anyone with a 4601 had any issues starting / know anything to check?

Cheers
Sam

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,568 Posts
Hi crew,

Been reading alot of the lift pump advice and picked myself up a 4601. Initially was fine, no issues. A few weeks in and I've suddenly started having issues starting the patrol. It will crank and crank before it eventually fires. I checked battery, glowplugs to no avail. Tried starting with the lift pump off using the bypass and it fired pretty much first try like I was used too.

So if its struggling for fuel on start (seems strange), but runs fine with the pump on and I've noticed the better low down power improvements people claim, where's the issue? My fuel filter has 16k kms on it and I'm about to change it, has anyone with a 4601 had any issues starting / know anything to check?

Cheers
Sam
No problems, had my 4601 for many years. With ignition on pressure post filter is around 13psi, once started it is around 11psi, cruises at 10psi. Re fuel filter, I don't change fuel filter by K's any more, I chenge it at a particular pressure drop at WOT, 8.5psi. The worst life I've gotten from a filter is 11,000k.

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
330 Posts
My brother’s Chinese carter 4601 lasted just 2 days. Replaced under warranty. Currently using one made in USA with no issues

Reactions: Phdv61

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
330 Posts
Hi RedFox02, purchased from a truck spare parts outlet in Albury nsw, only place I find that still had them in stock at the time, as most of the carter fuel pumps are made in china so finding a USA made one is almost impossible. The quality is much better (USA). Although the Chinese made is much quieter but lacks the robust of the USA,having a pressure gauge will be easier to diagnose if pump goes faulty.

Reactions: RAGGQ

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,568 Posts
As said earlier had mine many years with no issue, I am lead to believe there are pumps with plastic pump internals as opposed to the noisier yet stronger metal components. Mine is US made (actually mexico) as was my original 4600 which I only replaced because I wanted higher pressure.

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
330 Posts
Mine is still going with no issues also, they can be rebuilt. Is that correct Ross?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,568 Posts

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
330 Posts
Awesome

·
Registered
2003 ZD30 Patrol
227 Posts
Hi crew,

Cheers
Sam
Gday redfox how did you go with this problem? Let us know of your results and how you’ve wired it up?

·
Registered
02 GU ZD30
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hey, still having issues on startup. Without a pressure guage it's hard to diagnose what the problem is because I can't tell if it's restricting flow (low pressure) to the IP or overpressurising and putting the timing off.

Just starting the car with the IP then turning the pump on cause it's not a problem while driving and once fuel is flowing. My bypass works properly at least.

I had a look at Geeyou's recommendations in his thread for build/write up. Didn't worry with a cage on it but just made a bracket to mount to the bottom and rear of the tank bash guard. All the bypass and plumbing is mostly chilling on top of the tank.

I made my own modifications to the wiring setup. I added a 12v+ bus bar off my battery for future applications and an Ignition Bus for anything requiring Ignition power/triggers.

I run a 3 way switch in the cab with a manual prime setting/ignition power. I took trigger inputs to the switch from the factory wiring harness behind the key barrel tapping the 12v hot wire and ignition circuit wire. These trigger either the the 12v relay or pump relay, which in turn sends power to the pump from either the ignition (triggered from wiper motor) or 12v relay. This keeps all the high amperage current in the engine bay.

Font Rectangle Parallel Handwriting Writing

Note there is a 3A fuse between the source and the switch for both ignition and hot wire.

Also that switch is wired wrong in the diagram. Each input (pin 1 & 4, 3 & 6) need to be wired IN on 4 & 6 and OUT respectively. 2&5 common power and 7 common ground.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,568 Posts
A mystery to me why there is a starting issue, had no such problem in all the years of having mine fitted, certainly hope you find a reason and post it.
Hmmm! Wondering now what current draw your 4601 has?

·
Registered
02 GU ZD30
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yer definitely a mystery. Especially as it wasn't a problem when I first installed it. No idea on the current draw, couldn't find details on it. Running 25A wiring with 15A fuses no dramas.

·
Registered
2003 ZD30 Patrol
227 Posts
Hey, still having issues on startup. Without a pressure guage it's hard to diagnose what the problem is because I can't tell if it's restricting flow (low pressure) to the IP or overpressurising and putting the timing off.

Just starting the car with the IP then turning the pump on cause it's not a problem while driving and once fuel is flowing. My bypass works properly at least.

I had a look at Geeyou's recommendations in his thread for build/write up. Didn't worry with a cage on it but just made a bracket to mount to the bottom and rear of the tank bash guard. All the bypass and plumbing is mostly chilling on top of the tank.

I made my own modifications to the wiring setup. I added a 12v+ bus bar off my battery for future applications and an Ignition Bus for anything requiring Ignition power/triggers.

I run a 3 way switch in the cab with a manual prime setting/ignition power. I took trigger inputs to the switch from the factory wiring harness behind the key barrel tapping the 12v hot wire and ignition circuit wire. These trigger either the the 12v relay or pump relay, which in turn sends power to the pump from either the ignition (triggered from wiper motor) or 12v relay. This keeps all the high amperage current in the engine bay.

View attachment 542015

Note there is a 3A fuse between the source and the switch for both ignition and hot wire.
It’s definitely a tough one to work out. Do you have some sort of kill switch on the pump in case of an accident so as to not keep pumping fuel? If so that may have something to do with it.
I’ve had a 4601 now for a couple years with no problems but I’ve wired it through my oil pressure switch so it won’t start pumping until the car starts and will cut out as soon as there’s no oil pressure

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,568 Posts
I have an inertia switch which turns pump off in an accident, a steel ball moves at a certain impact breaking the earth.

·
Registered
02 GU ZD30
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It’s definitely a tough one to work out. Do you have some sort of kill switch on the pump in case of an accident so as to not keep pumping fuel? If so that may have something to do with it.
I’ve had a 4601 now for a couple years with no problems but I’ve wired it through my oil pressure switch so it won’t start pumping until the car starts and will cut out as soon as there’s no oil pressure
No I don't have anything like that, but that is a really good idea. Hadn't even thought about that. Doing this would probably solve my problem and may explain why I'm having issues. @geeyoutoo so does your inertia switch only turn your pump on when your driving like rag's oil pressure solution?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,568 Posts
No I don't have anything like that, but that is a really good idea. Hadn't even thought about that. Doing this would probably solve my problem and may explain why I'm having issues. @geeyoutoo so does your inertia switch only turn your pump on when your driving like rag's oil pressure solution?
No, has power immediately ign on. Would like to know your current draw though, something fishy going on here.

·
Registered
02 GU ZD30
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@geeyoutoo took me a bit longer to get around to it but the pump is pulling 2.88A at the pump. I've also noticed it's started leaking diesel around the terminals so I've started a warranty claim on it. There may be more issues internally I don't know.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,568 Posts
@geeyoutoo took me a bit longer to get around to it but the pump is pulling 2.88A at the pump. I've also noticed it's started leaking diesel around the terminals so I've started a warranty claim on it. There may be more issues internally I don't know.
As you can see below the electrical connections are directly below the inlet and outlet fittings, are you sure the diesel is not weeping from a loose connection?
It would be nice to know its origin, check the base as it should have where it was made stamped in the body. As was mentioned earlier we are aware of some coming from china that had some issues, both of mine are US made and they were OEM for the 6cyl dodge that ran the VP44 in the 90's, came with 10,000 warranty (as said earlier my old 4600 still works just replaced it with 4601 to get extra pressure).
Fluid Gas Engineering Auto part Machine

1 - 20 of 25 Posts