Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday all, my GQ has a 4" lift with Big-O 4x4 superflex front arm setup and 33's.

Now to be honest the car is a bit of a pig on road, it tram lines, its wanders, follows the road and is generally a bit **** to keep in a straight line.

Now my understanding is this is a characteristic of incorrect caster, but also the bigger wheels dont help this either.

couple questions
-will 10mm front arm spacers help this?
-will putting new king pin bearings in tigten things up a bit in the front end?
-or am i better going to drop boxes and standard arms?

all bushes in the front end are genuine and recently new, as are wheel bearings, and all 4 rod ends, shocks and springs and lower km steering box.

cheers

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Do you have 10 inch wide rims?

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,060 Posts
Have you tried it with other tyres? IMO tyres are the main cause of tramlining. If it has no steering wobble and the steering wheel returns to centre OK by itself I'd say your caster is fine.

Cheers,

·
Registered
nissan
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have 10 inch wide rims?
Nah, just 15x8 -22's

Have you tried it with other tyres? IMO tyres are the main cause of tramlining. If it has no steering wobble and the steering wheel returns to centre OK by itself I'd say your caster is fine.
Cheers,
Nah i Haven't. the rims arent all that old and the tyres are only 10,000km old. It did it with my last set of tyres to.

The car has a pretty bad pull to the left also which probably doesnt help, but no wheel aligner can seem to fix it. should probably go to a proper truck alignment place

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Call Pro-Axel and see who they recommend in your area

Reactions: scottyz

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
It is not uncommon for the front axle housing to be bent slightly which gives different caster and most likely camber on either side (mine is). Wider offset wheels make it feel worse.

But as Sim said, try Pro-Axle. I have heard a few others who have had offset king-pin bearings fitted to correct this and have good results. As well as tightening up the swivel hub (king pin bearings) making sure panhard rod bushes and all other bushes are good and wheel balance is as good as you can get it depending on the wheels, it all helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts