Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I fitted my 4" lift on my GU I put 5 degree castor correction plates on it. Would there be any advantage to pulling them off & putting drop boxes on instead?

·
Registered
nissan
631 Posts
i've got a mate with a three inch lift and caster plates and it is ok, however he has had issues with death wobbles. (2006 Gu 4.2 ute) I have a 3 inch lift in the gq and use caster bushes and no problems at all. No front sway bar and still feels great.

·
Registered
nissan
425 Posts
My gq had plates when I bought it. Changed to drop boxes and heaps better ride.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
221 Posts
Drop boxes will make the front end work a lot better when hitting bumps and trying to climb obstacles. Having the radius arms sitting flat will encourage the suspension to bump as opposed to pushing back against the bush as is the case when they are pointing down.

·
Registered
nissan gu td42t
625 Posts
Iv had castor bushes and castor plates. Handled ok. Put drop boxes on, handles good and flexes better.

·
Registered
nissan
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmmm ok. I thought as much. Having the diff pushed forwards made a bit more sense to me too. I never really thought about it much until I started having wobbles etc. I'm about to fit a 4" lift with drop boxes to a mate's GQ so I guess that'll give me more insight.

Cheers boys

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
What do these drop plates look like and where do they fit?

I'm just about to have a 2" lift fitted to my GU and the guy said he'd order 'Caster correction' kit at the same time.

Whats involved?

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts

I'm just about to have a 2" lift fitted to my GU and the guy said he'd order 'Caster correction' kit at the same time.

Whats involved?

For 2-3" just get rubber 2-3 degree bushes.

·
Registered
nissan
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Whats involved?
With a 2" lift you can get away without castor correction but 2 degree bushes are what you need.

You can't get enough castor correction out of a control arm bush for anything higher than 3" lift. You have to get someone with a press to fit the bushes.

·
Registered
nissan
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So we fitted the 4" lift with drop boxes to old mate's GQ on the weekend. Looking at the suspension geometry of the GQ vs the GU, the issue I have with fitting them to my GU is that the control arms & sway bar will be closer to rocks etc. Also I can see how the wheels need to be pushed forward in the guards on the GQ's especially with 33's. My wheels sit pretty central in the guards on my GU so I'm not sure pushing them forward is a good idea.

Upon saying all this I can see how they'd improve wheel shimmy etc by leveling out the control arms.

Are drop boxes the same for GQ & GU?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
59 Posts

Whats involved?
So these castor correction bushes have the bore off-set?
Yes bushes have offset bore. Other than that a drop box witch is cheapest way to go, Patrol_GQ_GU_drop_box_s.jpg More keen is after market radius arms that will compensate the lift. Like superior or 3rds pro For bigger lifts 3rds Radius arms.jpg

·
Registered
nissan
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep...the suspension is all the same.
Well not exactly.

The GU is a WAY better setup than the GQ. The springs are different, fronts are longer on GU, the sway bars thicker on GU, the rear link pins are different, the relay rods & tie rods are different although probably interchangable.

Then other than suspension the tailshaft & chassis brace below it are a lot better on GU, the brake rotors are thicker & obviously callipers differ to suit on the GU but we're digressing now. I only mentioned these things because having done a 4" lift on both a GQ & a GU these are things that we had to modify in some way except brakes other than extended lines but noticed the rest while bleeding them.

·
Registered
nissan
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GQ QLD that is some nice gear there but that allen key bolt that holds the drop box in where the radius arm originally went is pretty tiny. The bolts we got with the Road-Safe drop boxes were a lot healthier looking.

Also those blue radius arms wouldn't do squat for the castor correction. They're a great idea though for making your front end flex easier in that there would be less stress on the radius arm rubbers at more acute angles. I don't know how they'd go with hard cornering on road though.

·
Registered
407 Posts
GQ QLD that is some nice gear there but that allen key bolt that holds the drop box in where the radius arm originally went is pretty tiny. The bolts we got with the Road-Safe drop boxes were a lot healthier looking.

Also those blue radius arms wouldn't do squat for the castor correction. They're a great idea though for making your front end flex easier in that there would be less stress on the radius arm rubbers at more acute angles. I don't know how they'd go with hard cornering on road though.
I'd say they would bolt to the gearbox crossmember too. Should be nice n tight

·
Registered
nissan patrol
59 Posts

Whats involved?
That was just a random photo i downloaded to show Streaky what a drop box is, as asked. Im sure there's pro & cons with the make. I personally dont run boxes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts