Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Rogue
22' Ranger Raptor V6TT
20,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I went to Burson Autoparts to get stuff for a service. When I got home I realized that the oil they gave me was a diesel 15W-30. Last few times I have got oil it was a standard petrol oil which is weird but I do believe is the correct oil.
Can I use the diesel oil?

·
Rogue
22' Ranger Raptor V6TT
20,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its in now so bugger it. If it dies its just another reason for an engine conversion! :D

·
Registered
757 Posts
As far as i know the ZD30 requires a semi-synthic grade of engine oil. Thats what i was told when buying oil for my 3.0 Navara Ute

·
Registered
nissan patrol
30 Posts
Its in now so bugger it. If it dies its just another reason for an engine conversion! :D
You may want to check what really went into that motor. I can see no reference at all to a Castrol GTX Diesel 15W-30 there is however a 15-40. It appears to be a dino oil as opposed to the semi-synth Magnatec 10W-40.

I believe that you won't have any problems running it for this single service interval. Get back to the mob that recommended it to you and see what they reckon.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Oils

Well, my drivers handbook for my 2005 GUIV recommends 5W-30 for both petrol and diesel.(CF for diesels)

Why not see what your drivers Handbook recommends and use that?

Cheers

·
Registered
Nissan
314 Posts
castrol recommends magnatech proffesional 5W40 which you can't get through the retailshops.
magnatech 10W40 comes close to it.
if your real fussy you can use the more exp. castrol edge sport 5W30 or the edge 0W40..
these modern diesels don't need the diesel oil anymore and with some of them you need to be really carefull what you put in!!
like the TD30 jackaroo needs the softtech 10W30 and if you put anything else in it, it just dies and won't start again!! all hydr. taps need to come out which is a big $$$ job!
so be carefull what you put in!!

·
Rogue
22' Ranger Raptor V6TT
20,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
castrol recommends magnatech proffesional 5W40 which you can't get through the retailshops.
magnatech 10W40 comes close to it.
if your real fussy you can use the more exp. castrol edge sport 5W30 or the edge 0W40..
these modern diesels don't need the diesel oil anymore and with some of them you need to be really carefull what you put in!!
like the TD30 jackaroo needs the softtech 10W30 and if you put anything else in it, it just dies and won't start again!! all hydr. taps need to come out which is a big $$$ job!
so be carefull what you put in!!
AAAHHHH!!

It runs alright so far ;).
So whats the difference between Dino and the other one? And why would the Dino not be suitable?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I use mobil fully synthetic 5w 50 for the ZD30 CRD, it shuts it up in the mornings and its great for the long hot hauls towing the boat.................my 2c

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,454 Posts
i used delo400 15W40 in my last service after doing alot of research on here..

So far the truck is running well, power is good (probably the same) and the amount of blowby is alot less in my provent. I was running Penrite 5W40 before..

·
Rogue
22' Ranger Raptor V6TT
20,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I drove to Mildura today (500km) car was under powered and used more fuel than normal. About 200k into it we could smell burning oil.
It turns out the oil thinned so much it was weeping out the seal of the oil filter straight onto the exhaust.
I have just finished changing the oil and filter again.

I won't be making that mistake again!!!

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,771 Posts
If I were you I would be draining the oil ASAP and refilling with Magnetec Diesel. The oil filter will still be ok so you will only be up for new oil. It's not worth the risk. The ZD30 is very particular about the oil it runs. Ive run Magnetec for the last 90,000 km.

·
Rogue
22' Ranger Raptor V6TT
20,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I were you I would be draining the oil ASAP and refilling with Magnetec Diesel. The oil filter will still be ok so you will only be up for new oil. It's not worth the risk. The ZD30 is very particular about the oil it runs. Ive run Magnetec for the last 90,000 km.
Yeah I just replaced the oil with Magnetec (not the diesel stuff) and did the filter again just because I could. We'll see how it goes tomorrow

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y-61
1,225 Posts
The first digit (15w-30) 15w says only that the oil will not be thick in the cold, but you do not have a cold you can pour this oil, it is in Russia we need oil 5-30 or 0-30 (this is where the oil goes freezing to -40)
read here
Car Bibles : The Engine Oil Bible

This site is much better, but it is in Russian through an interpreter, try your computer
http://avtomaslo.info/vyazkost-masla/index.php

·
Registered
617 Posts
"It turns out the oil thinned so much it was weeping out the seal of the oil filter straight onto the exhaust.
I have just finished changing the oil and filter again."

That sounds more like they didn't tighten the filter properly........................

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,172 Posts
"It turns out the oil thinned so much it was weeping out the seal of the oil filter straight onto the exhaust.
I have just finished changing the oil and filter again."

That sounds more like they didn't tighten the filter properly........................
X2, agreed.

·
Rogue
22' Ranger Raptor V6TT
20,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ZD30s have cartridge filters not canisters, it doesn't matter how tight it is done up it still seals the same.
And, it was me who services the car. :D
The seal wasn't pinched from what I could tell and the oil just left he slightest film on the dip stick when I pulled it out when the engine was warm. That's why I assumed it thinned too much when hot.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,454 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.