Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone ever seen or heard of anyone putting a C6 or C7 turbo charged CAT engine in the Patrol Y61. I know length x width and height is possible and getting the electrics is no real task. The CAT C7 is a Perkins and back in the 80's it was common to transplant these engines into pickups but they were mainly 2stroke diesels. I have been searching net looking around for info but found not single mention of CAT engine in Patrol Y61.

Maybe i start looking under John Deere, Cummins or Perkins or 2 stoke this could be endless.

From what I can see find out its very common in Panama do such a conversion on the Patrol but yet no pic's of the finished product.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
If you cant find stuff now, what happens when the water pump dies? Farkkk indeed.

Stick to cummins I would. Plenty of aftermarket stuff.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No issues on Parts for CAT and im also have the tech computer. So Cummins has been done ?

using the stock gbox of a Patrol ? Do you have any links or pictures of cummins in the Patrol Y61

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,957 Posts
iv asked this question myself. . . . we have a cat c7 in the skidder at work. . . . what an animal of a motor, but its pretty big. . . . i havnt taken measurements but its not small.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Im looking buying a C7.1 ACERT for work, I can tell you the following:

mighty farkin heavy (front diff will not take the weight)

And wide

And need massive radiators

Need very high diff ratios

Would tear patrol gearboxes apart

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,957 Posts
Im looking buying a C7.1 ACERT for work, I can tell you the following:

mighty farkin heavy (front diff will not take the weight) And wide
yes. . . heavy and wide for a straight 6 of "only" 7.2litres

very heavy. . . .not like a patrol motor. they weigh like half a ton. you get em on the floor and try to move em. . . not a chance. . a td42 you can get 2blokes to pick it up and move it.

i love big simple diesels tho. cummins and cat. . . awesome:D

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The CAT C7 is Perkins rebadged a CAT Acert. The only real problem we have with them is the injector solenoid valves maxing out with it been a CRD . This seams to be a common problem
The other issue the intake manifold. At low RPM the only cylinder’s that get a good air supply are 2345. 1 and 6 run hot at tick over so its worth doing a hand made mandrel bent intake manifold to solve this.
We seam to fixed out C7 issues with these upgrades.

Also in the early days we found that using aftermarket air filter made the ECU mess up the fuel and air mixture and as our equipment is ZONE II Ex rated. This made the engine shut down when we simulate jarring on wireline skid units. The engine would rev from high and low and then tick over and then cut out in about 20 seconds. The ECU would go into panic mode and shut the engine down

Another note is that CAT say you need to have a CAT tech install the injectors as they need a trim file. This not true new injectors OTB will not require the trim file. But as we have the ET software we do upload the injector trim file.

We also have the ET computer software and 15 pin data cable as the USB cable is not as good for comms in our application and environment.

I must admit this engine really is a good engine all be a Perkins but we have a large fleet of them and they seam to fit our application for power, weight and size perfect. All I need now is Patrol, plasma cutter, CAT C7 and a large workshop at home to make it all happen. It would be the dream machine.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah no chance, It just wouldnt fit but hey worth discussing nothing like a bit RD.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts