Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I don't have anger management issues - I have moro
nissan
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'Day,
I was wondering if fitting a catch can and blocking off the return tube to the inlet pipe would increase power at all? I know it would be bugger all if any but I thought less hot air going back to the engine would mean more cold air and that is good right? the engine is a CRD by the way.
Thanks

·
nissan
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't after a land speed record I just thought less hot air from the engine would be beneficial. Compressing from the turbo would negate any cold air increase though.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
IF you were really looking to split hairs I would say that you would suffer a reduction in power as suspended oil in the crank case vapour are being seperated and not burnt in the normal combustion process.

Like 0.00000000000000000001% power reduction.

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
The concept of temperature would have no effect. I know a few different petrol engines around, that throw a fair bit of blow-by (which dilutes the A-FM) and there are gain especially when producing high power and running timing on the edge. I wouldnt think in a diesel that performance is one of the main in incentives.

^^ I would have thought it to be the other way around, as the oil doesn't burn as well as the diesel. In this type of motor I dont know, but in a petrol the opposite in definitely true.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Diesel is a compression engine, trust me, they quite like being fed oil.

To the point that if they dont have sufficient load on them, destructive overspeed can result.

·
nissan
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok then I will hook it back up.
thanks again.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Ok then I will hook it back up.
thanks again.
Listen the catch can is a good idea Ibok, I have a CRD and the can works well. I check the MAF from time to time and its as clean as a whistle, my son has a DI 2004 3.0l with no catch can and I can tell you his MAF was dirty and the inside of his hoses were lined with oily **** and so was the inside of his intercooler. In 25,000 klms my CRD collected about 20mm of oil in the can. Its a real easy hook up on the CRD too.

Mainey88

·
nissan
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine was a pipe from the tappet cover to a beer can and the pipe from the inlet pipe blocked. I first saw it on an old Harley and used it on my 3l diesel Jackaroo for years after seeing the crap in it's inlet pipe. I think maybe I shouldn't be such a tightarse and make one like in the reference document. Like I said I wasn't expecting a speed machine I was just curious about any increase at all.
PS I also clean the MAF sensor every 5000 kms when I do the service.

·
Registered
nissan
684 Posts
Listen the catch can is a good idea Ibok, I have a CRD and the can works well. I check the MAF from time to time and its as clean as a whistle, my son has a DI 2004 3.0l with no catch can and I can tell you his MAF was dirty and the inside of his hoses were lined with oily **** and so was the inside of his intercooler. In 25,000 klms my CRD collected about 20mm of oil in the can. Its a real easy hook up on the CRD too.

Mainey88
Interesting observations there mate. From memory the breather pipe on the CRD is fitted to the inlet pipe in a different position, and this seems to have alleviated the dirty maf problem from the oil mist.

What type of catch can have you fitted? Most of us that are using the Provent unit seem to collect quite a bit more than you do. Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
I think maybe I shouldn't be such a tightarse and make one like in the reference document.
Dont be too hard on yourself mate, using a beer can as an engine component for a $60grand car is all good. :cool:. I mean its not like a yogurt container....

·
nissan
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dont be too hard on yourself mate, using a beer can as an engine component for a $60grand car is all good. :cool:. I mean its not like a yogurt container....
Exactly ha ha

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
You are right mystic the CRD MAF stays cleaner, I couldnt tell you if it ever got dirty as I fitted the catch can when the vehicle was new, the can was purchased off ebay 3yrs ago, no name brand, may not work as well as provent but if everything stays reasonably clean then it must be helping.

Interesting observations there mate. From memory the breather pipe on the CRD is fitted to the inlet pipe in a different position, and this seems to have alleviated the dirty maf problem from the oil mist.

What type of catch can have you fitted? Most of us that are using the Provent unit seem to collect quite a bit more than you do. Cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol GU
307 Posts
I chucked a catch can on mine, didnt really make much difference from stopping the oil in the intake. I got the 'drift' brand as its what they had in stock at autobahn 'moite' ;)

After reading a bit more about it, a couple of people have put steel wool in their catch can to catch more oil, I havent tried this as Im slack, but ill get to it one day.

As for power, no difference at all..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts