·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
Small, but a good win for everyone!

·
Banned
682 Posts
About time someone had the balls to overturn a poor decision by the past goverment, maybe there is hope for some more reopenings

·
Registered
2,183 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
Thankyou Ted finally some sense is coming to the fore.....

I have spent the last 20 years regularly visiting the high country ....through the 90s I spent around 6-10 weeks every year hiking around Licola, Howitt, Tali Kang, Sentinel etc etc..... in all that time hiking only once did I see an area that anyone could call damaged by cattle ( if you call a few muddy prints in a bog damage ) and a few months later mother nature had taken it back ie: the grass was growing where there was previously mud.

The Cattle and mountain cattlemen are part of our heritage and history I recall hiking up past Hells Window and an incredibly steep rocky section ( climbing with hands and feet ) leading a group of 8 ( 14 and 15 year olds ) from Howitt Hut to Bluff Hutt when behind us we could hear something coming...... you should have seen the look on their faces as Jack Lovick ( i think it was jack ) came up this steep rocky track on a rugged looking horse/pony .

That night all they talked about was how on earth did that man and horse make it up there......

The man from snowy river suddenly seemed very real to them and seved to remind them all of the hard work and pioneering spirit this country was founded on.

Glad to see them back

·
Registered
nissan
555 Posts
the people that came up with the idea of banning cattle most likely had never even visited the high country or knew about the history

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jack Lovick ( i think it was jack ) came up this steep rocky track on a rugged looking horse/pony.
You should have seen the faces when Lovick rode his horse into the Hill Top Omeo Hotel (early 80s). The blinds were drawn and we all kept drinking after closing time.

the people that came up with the idea of banning cattle most likely had never even visited the high country or knew about the history
Since when has anyone from inner Melbourne ever been to the High Country, other than maybe a ski resort?

Cheers

Ray

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
haha thought you didnt read my post clearly
hotshot (not to be taken seriously?):S
Smilies. lots of smilies required. ;)

Cheers

Ray

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Lets see what happens - any guessing?

Cows ordered out of Alpine National Park March 18, 2011 - 5:21PM
.Cows grazing in the Alpine National Park in Victoria have been put on notice by the federal government that their time is up.

Federal Environment Minister Tony Burke has ordered the cows out of the park by April 8.

In January, the Victorian government reintroduced cattle grazing in the national park as part of a scientific research trial.Since then, Mr Burke said he had been trying to get information from the Victorian government as to why this issue was not referred for an environmental assessment.

On March 1, the minister set Victoria a two-week deadline to provide all the relevant information about the reintroduction.

‘‘The information that has eventually come from the Victorian government is a joke,’’ Mr Burke told reporters in Canberra on Friday.

‘‘For something that is meant to be a university research project, we’re provided with documentation that wouldn’t pass as high school science homework.’’

He said he had written to the Victorian government, advising it had 15 business days under federal law to refer its cattle grazing actions for commonwealth referral or he would force a referral.

‘‘By the 8th of April, the cattle must be out of the Alpine park,’’ Mr Burke said.

Then, the federal government would go through the environmental assessment process that should have happened in January, a process that Australian businesses went through all the time, ‘‘but for some reason, the Victorian government thought they were above’’.

‘‘We cannot have a situation where the Victorian government wants to treat national parks as though the environment is a joke,’’ he said.‘‘We have cattle stomping all over areas of national environmental significance,’’ Mr Burke said.

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, Labor and the Greens, looking after the working families. My mistake, since when were farmers working families, afterall, they didn't build this city.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
778 Posts
I think we all need to adopt a politician and take them wheeling into our great parks, mountains and beaches maybe they might see that we are not all a bunch of yobbos and the vast majority of us love and care about our country ( I don't like our chances but you never know.... )

·
Registered
nissan gq
706 Posts
Once again some pen pushing ahole in a city office that knows nothing about the country and it's people who think they know whats best for us.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts