Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

so i have my new CC intercooler for my CRD however the wiring loom for the fan is such that the fan runs all the time when the car is running.

My thoughts are this is unesscessay (ie when on the highway and driving through water which has the potential to come through the engine bay / scoop)

How have other people wire theirs up?

Cheers

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,221 Posts
I run the simple 50c thermo switch that sits flat against the IC, when the temperature of the IC body hits 50c it completes the circuit, cheap and effective, I bought several of them from JayCar but they are still in the packet as I had no issues with the original. The upshot is that if you have your EGT under control you won't hear it often. mine comes into its own when on the beach etc at low speed. Simple to do as the write up Sydo linked shows.

P1020722.1.jpg

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,529 Posts
new to crd is there any benefit using a cc intercooler.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,221 Posts
new to crd is there any benefit using a cc intercooler.
You will get lots of different ideas on this, I suppose it revolves around how much you want to spend and how long your going to keep the truck, for me CCIC was the way to go after a lot of research, I never jump in too quick :). Great intercooler but expensive (long lead time, which must say something about the product), I rarely see 450c these days and on a hot day (test day was 38c) my intake is 10c above ambient so I'm happy. They are not for all though.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,221 Posts
Mines on a td42t and it's not a cross country, but I just run it all the time, most of the time my intake temperature is below°50. I figure that if it wasn't on temperature would be higher.
I rarely hear mine come on, mainly if I've had it parked for 15-20 minutes where it has acted as a heat soak, I restart the old girl the fan kicks in and it takes a few minutes to get the IC body below the 50c threshold, once I'm freely moving it stays fairly stable.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
8 Posts
I have had the cc intercooler for about 3 years . I followed instructions and wired the fan so it is on all the time the engine is running . Just recently the fan stopped running . I pulled it apart and it was completely burnt out . I rang up cross country and they replaced the fan free of charge . They also said the fan should be able to be run all the time the engine is running .

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Any point running all the time ? No wonder it burnt out. Wouldn't need it running on the highway. Did they replace it with a Spal fan ?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
8 Posts
Sorry can't remember the name of the fan but it was the same as the original . I do remember it was made in italy . I will be putting a thermo switch on the fan . Also , when I say the fan was burnt out I mean it looked like the fan had been on fire inside . Internals completely melted .

·
Registered
nissan
1,671 Posts
I have the CCIC and I've wired up the fan to be switched on via a rocker switch in the dash. That way I have complete control over when it's on or off. I generally only turn it on before big hill climbs, hard beach work or ultra hot days.

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Good idea as long as you remember to switch on. Depends how many frothies you have

·
Registered
nissan
1,671 Posts
I've got a light attached to the internal relay on the EGT gauge so if I forget to switch it on I get a red light telling me that my EGT is too high. Works for me.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,221 Posts
Good idea as long as you remember to switch on. Depends how many frothies you have
That's why I think the 50c switch is such a cheap and effective method of control.

·
Registered
nissan
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks to all for helpful replies.

I have got the intercooler in, harest bit for me was welding in the new support raill having never really done any welding. not the prettiest but ground back and painted and it looks... average... lol

the surface mount thermo switched look pretty intersing, Normally Open Thermostat Switch - 50 Degrees | Thermal Switches & Fuses | Circuit Protection | Passive Components | PRODUCTS | ST3831 | Jaycar Electronics as they would not take much to install, comple small bolts or even pop rivets would do the job, maybe some artic silver to mate the switch to the ic.

for the time being i have wired the fan up as per instructions (fan is on when the ignition is on) but i will change this as i do not feel the fan should be on when on the highway (i have a larger scoop too) or when crossing deep water (risk of blades being damaged on water contact)

i plan to wire it up to a thermo switch and a two way switch in the cab. when the switch is in pos 1 the fan will run all the time (ie this is my way to overide/turn on at any time) and in pos 2 fan is controlled by the thermoswitch and will cut in when required.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts