Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol/Maverick
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day All, I have a pioneer CD player and clarion speakers in my truck but it's awful. What have others fitted in gq's to give reasonable sound without breaking the bank and losing space with a subwoofer?

·
Registered
Nissan
1,710 Posts
I have seen a $60 set of speakers outperform a decent few hundred dollar set just because of mounting,

whatever you choose mount your speakers properly giving them enough cavity behind

also chose your power correctly Don't look at flashy writhing about Peak power look at the RMS value.

lack of power to your speakers also causes distortion make sure your head unit has adequate power to run your speakers

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU iii
434 Posts
Did you use the existing wiring loom and/or crimp connectors to power the speakers?

A lot of sound quality may be lost with wiring that cannot carry the current or connections tht are unable to conduct sufficient current.

Personally I run Alpine speakers through the exxisting wiring loom. What I do to ensure that they get the maximum current through the pissweak existing wiring is solder the loom directly to the tabs on the speakers, ensuring that the ends of the wire is encapsulated within the solder.

Another frequently overlooked aspect for sound quality is infinite baffle. Physically this refers to when the speaker pushes forward and a vacuum is created behind the speaker, the easier the path for air movement between the two sides, the worse the sound clarity.

It follows then that the better that the back of the speaker is sealed from the front of the speaker the better the bass response.

I usually use a double sided foam or soft rubber to seal any air paths in the body when installing speakers.

I hope this makes sense and helps.

Scottie

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol/Maverick
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you use the existing wiring loom and/or crimp connectors to power the speakers?

A lot of sound quality may be lost with wiring that cannot carry the current or connections tht are unable to conduct sufficient current.

Personally I run Alpine speakers through the exxisting wiring loom. What I do to ensure that they get the maximum current through the pissweak existing wiring is solder the loom directly to the tabs on the speakers, ensuring that the ends of the wire is encapsulated within the solder.

Another frequently overlooked aspect for sound quality is infinite baffle. Physically this refers to when the speaker pushes forward and a vacuum is created behind the speaker, the easier the path for air movement between the two sides, the worse the sound clarity.

It follows then that the better that the back of the speaker is sealed from the front of the speaker the better the bass response.

I usually use a double sided foam or soft rubber to seal any air paths in the body when installing speakers.

I hope this makes sense and helps.

Scottie

I didn't fit the current radio but want to make sure I don't repeat the mistakes so thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
Thanks for this post Paddy :bigthumb:

Bought a new mechless to replace the original radio and cassette player, and a couple of new speakers to replace the distorting factories. I've replaced many a factory HU with aftermarket in previous cars, and for our kids and their mates, so had no problem with installing these.
After installing the mechless and speakers, there was so much treble and no bass, thought the speakers where ****e. Changed the speakers x 2, and still no improvement, pinched the HU out've son's car, with slight improvement...but no ci-gar :(
After reading this, I'm going to run whole new (updated) wiring, and see if that improves :D

P.S
Supercrap's currently got a mechless for $99, and only 1/2 the depth of a normal HU, BT version of the same HU is $149 if you're interested

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for this post Paddy :bigthumb:

Bought a new mechless to replace the original radio and cassette player, and a couple of new speakers to replace the distorting factories. I've replaced many a factory HU with aftermarket in previous cars, and for our kids and their mates, so had no problem with installing these.
After installing the mechless and speakers, there was so much treble and no bass, thought the speakers where ****e. Changed the speakers x 2, and still no improvement, pinched the HU out've son's car, with slight improvement...but no ci-gar :(
After reading this, I'm going to run whole new (updated) wiring, and see if that improves :D

P.S
Supercrap's currently got a mechless for $99, and only 1/2 the depth of a normal HU, BT version of the same HU is $149 if you're interested
Chances are high that the polarity is wrong on the speakers. Swap them around and see if this improves the sound. In saying that, new wire is always better.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol/Maverick
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will rewire them when time permits. I will also try some sound deadening.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts