Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doesnt look like it will be red dust for a long time yet!

Breaking Weather News - Outback storms bring a month's rain in 10 minutes

22 November 2010

Thunderstorms over the interior in the last few days have been bringing tropical-like downpours, equivalent to a month's rain in just 10 minutes.

The storms have been focussed in southwestern Queensland, northwestern New South Wales and northeastern South Australia.

On Sunday afternoon, Tibooburra picked up a massive 55mm in about an hour, including 17mm in 10 minutes. Their monthly average is only 16mm. Cobar's monthly average is 35mm but gained 39mm, including 20 in 10 minutes.

Quilpie was drenched with 72mm, more than double the monthly average and their heaviest November rain in 93 years of records.

Quilpie has gained 843mm this year, 500mm more than average and their wettest year since 1956.

Storms fired up again on Monday bringing 28mm to Thargomindah in Queensland.

With further showers and storms likely over a similar area in the coming days some monthly records are almost certain to be broken.

Tibooburra should take its monthly total past 87mm, breaking a 122-year November record.

During the week a trough will take showers and storms across a large area of southeastern Australia, including Adelaide, Hobart, Melbourne, Canberra and Sydney. Heavy falls are possible....

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
as bill cosby, aka noah, said ( key high pitched voice) "its rain'n"

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
Ding!! TRUCKSTER... " I WANT YOU TO BUILD AN ARK"

·
Registered
nissan
400 Posts
The amount of rain we have had out at work, eastern central highlands in Qld, over the last few months is amazing. The Dawson River is rising again, about the 5th time in as many months. All the rivers, creeks, and dams are chock a block full. It takes very little rain at the moment to get things flowing. Major highways - Capricorn highway and the Beef road- are starting to go under with minor disruptions on a regular basis. Even some of the mines are having production issues. Blackwater mine, Kinrola and Boorgoon coal loadouts were evacuated late last week, or on the weekend, and there was a fear the access road would flood, and an ambulance would not be able to attend an inident if required. I went to Kinrola on Sunday to load, and the only thing working was the reclaimers and the loadout. Everything else was shut down. We had quite a number of trains stowed between Rocky and Blackwater, due to loss of orders due to the weather.

If we get a cyclone or major rain event cross the coast around Mackay, and head inland, we are going to be in a major drama out that way. On the flip side, the country hasnt looked so good in years.

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
Meet up with old 'Sully' on the weekend, some of you may know him as a feature around Birdsville.
He has been traveling, with Birdsville as a base, for something like 40 years, with multiple Simpson crossings.
He has never seen it so wet, and said 'we are loosing the desert'.

OK we are having a 'La Nina' event, but makes you think of one of the Global Warming descriptions; 'dry areas will become wetter'.

·
Registered
Nissan
255 Posts
I live in Rocky (central qld) and am a self employed bobcat operator..The start of the year it basically rained here for the first 3 months (i worked 2 weeks in 3 months) and hasnt been too bad until now. Its been raining here for almost a week, and with the long range weather forecasts I think the worst is yet to come..

Here is some interesting info, Total rainfalls for 2010 up til today

Rockhampton-894.4mm
Mackay-2161.6mm
Townsville-1564.8mm
Melbourne-613mm
Perth-486.4mm

Damn id hate to be self employed in Mackay!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I hope its nice and green out in corner country, everytime I've been to Cameron Corner its been brown & dry. I'll be out there March 2011.
The old Thargomindah, now thats a town.

·
Registered
nissan
1,354 Posts
I live in Rocky (central qld) and am a self employed bobcat operator..The start of the year it basically rained here for the first 3 months (i worked 2 weeks in 3 months) and hasnt been too bad until now. Its been raining here for almost a week, and with the long range weather forecasts I think the worst is yet to come..

Here is some interesting info, Total rainfalls for 2010 up til today

Rockhampton-894.4mm
Mackay-2161.6mm
Townsville-1564.8mm
Melbourne-613mm
Perth-486.4mm

Damn id hate to be self employed in Mackay!
Yep being in Mackay at the moment sucks we've had roughly 16 inches of rain in the last 1.5 - 2 weeks, today was the most sunshine we've seen in ages.

·
Registered
nissan
49 Posts
Dirty looking clouds on NSW Qld border 30th November

Clouds were looking ominous and after 2 hours the rain hit, 35mm in 30mins.
Overnight this farm had 90mm & over the border at Talwood Qld, 150mm in about 36 hours

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.