Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking about the benefits of having the Exhaust Manifold, Turbo and Dump Ceramic Coated on my TD42Ti build and wondering if anyone has any experience they can add to this such as improvements before and after, costs, shops to use etc.

My knowledge is basic and logic focused until I learn more about this. EGT's are obviously a major concern especially at the piston crown which is why we monitor them, however most sensors are placed at the dump which is not a true indicator. When modifying engine and Fuel/Boost it obviously makes sense to look at upgrading cooling be it water or air intake and exhaust. Ceramic coatings will protect by lowering, and stopping such big and rapid swings in temp in critical areas under load. This apparently keeps heat in the ehhaust and stops it soaking back to head and engine bay, so I imagine it will be good to maintain longevity of head and minimise hot spots somewhat.

As an aside in regards to Stainless exhaust and dump is there much difference in the use of Stainless due to it's higher melt point, in that it will be more stable at the running temps, or is that minimal or negligible.

At this point I'm considering manifold and turbo as engine is out, it may not happen given timing and factors out of my control but it could be done later, if it's worth it. Will be running 30 PSI and 200 RWKW.

Interested to hear peoples thoughts on this and thought it would be a good topic to start

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,195 Posts
There have been a few discussions on this over the years relating to the ZD30, not sure about 4.2, some have done it, especially the dump pipe, the upshot is the difference is negligible and as far as EGT goes it has no effect when talking about holes in pistons on a ZD30 all this happens internally, by the time it gets outside it is too late. On a ZD30 the difference between temps at the manifold and 50-100mm past the turbo is around 150c so if I'm seeing 550c on my EGT gauge the temps at the manifold will be roughly 700c (but can vary up and down a a few percent), the highest I've seen my EGT gauge when I first installed it many years ago without any other mods was 720c, meaning manifold temp would have been at least 870c.

Remember that ceramic coating a manifold etc tends to keep heat within so that it doesn't project to nearby bits and pieces. On the later ZD30 pistons (the ones that went into mine after it grenaded in 2006) are ceramic coated, this toughens the surface and deflects heat back into the cylinder.

For a 4.2 this may not be as critical as it is for a ZD30.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,066 Posts
All good in my view, and also in the view of your engine builder I am sure. No down side. I would be doing the exhaust manifold and dump pipe for sure. Turbo housings are also a good idea. Not sure on pistons.

Eastcoast Performance Coatings in Forest Glen is who I use. Steve is a nice fella, and is a Patrol owner. His prices are much more competitive than the big names in the industry.

·
Registered
nissan
11,121 Posts
when i built my engine. i ceramic coated the pistons and teflon coated the skirts. i also went spastic and ceramic coated the head, precomp chambers. valves, exhaust ports in head the works.

i recently also had the exhaust manifold coated as it was off. only thing left is dump pipe but when i done exhaust mani dump wasnt done.

its also worth noting as much as the safety aspect of the coatings is great. keeping the heat in the combustion chambers also adds a little horsepower and torque. maybe 1% but it all helps.

·
Registered
Nissan
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All good in my view, and also in the view of your engine builder I am sure. No down side. I would be doing the exhaust manifold and dump pipe for sure. Turbo housings are also a good idea. Not sure on pistons.

Eastcoast Performance Coatings in Forest Glen is who I use. Steve is a nice fella, and is a Patrol owner. His prices are much more competitive than the big names in the industry.
OK good if theres no real downside then it's a good idea looking further into, I might have to find a second manifold and start with that or wait till later date as time is now an issue.

its also worth noting as much as the safety aspect of the coatings is great. keeping the heat in the combustion chambers also adds a little horsepower and torque. maybe 1% but it all helps.
Yeah safety first + !% more horse power as a bonus, ok good. I thougt they only did the head on petrol engines but I had thought that would be cool, my head is already fitted and tensioned off but dump and turbo could still be done, perhaps as I said later as time is already got away on this project, car sitting registered going nowhere for months thanks to Covid part delays.

So what would a manifild cost to coat about 200 bucks at a guess...? I saw the Sureflow website

·
Registered
Nissan
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This build is only a performance head and clean up of chambers will not do the bottom end for a long time, when I do will get ceramic and teflon coated pistons for sure, should have done turbo as an option when I bought it, lesson learned

·
Registered
Nissan
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had my exhaust manifold ceramic coated because the shop offered me a good price.
So youre happy with it? I'm going to do this in future for the heat control advantages not just the 1% better economy.

I've also got in hand a Cerma STM-3 Ceramic carbide nano engine treatment to go in at next oil change, and Turbo treatment...But that's a different topic

1 - 9 of 9 Posts