Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know good reliable places in Aust to get gear from?

Lookin at several sets of full gear, helmets, chaps, etc.

Lookin in USA on Chaps for example, once again is less than 1/2 price of here on what I've found so far ~$50-60 V 120-180! :shock: http://www.labonville.com/

:(

But if I can find someone to deal with in AU that will look after us, then all the better.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Hmmm... The gears one thing. Being taught how to use a chainsaw properly is even better. Is there anywhere you can get lessons from a pro?

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Four Wheel Drive Victoria run the best course apparently for chainsaws. $160 or something over 2 days. Dunno about rAdelaide.

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
Most TAFE's or Community Colleges run 2 day chainsaw courses. Have a look in your local area.

·
Registered
nissan
446 Posts
best gear is to wear long pants, long sleeve shirt pair of leather gloves if you like, either pair of safety glasses or full mask and some ear muffs. But no gear from anywhere in the world is gonna stop an angry chainsaw on full throttle in the hands of an inexperianced operator going postal and harming or killing them. 2 day safety course is the best safety advice you will ever get..

·
Registered
636 Posts
best advice

A mate of mine is an trainer for an arbourist company and he recons the best peice of safety equipment is the file and your eyes( + brain ). using your chainsaw with a blunt chain is the single most dangerous thing you can do but we have all done it. Nearly finished a big clear up, " I won't bother sharpening coz I'll be done in a few minutes","I'll just lean into it" one thinks, this is exactly when he says you need to take a break, have some water, sharpen saw and re-evaluate. If you don't take the time to do it properly then you are as dangerous as someone who snatches from a towball or factory tie down point. And remember when we ( as 4x4ers ) use a chainsaw we are'nt generaly near to medical help so this increases the chance of us dying as well as the panic factor created for the people who now need to recover a person from deep in the forest.

Don't watch that program 'axemen'.

P.S. Truckster,I'm not saying that you are lacking in skills. I just thought I would mention what my mate said.

Cheers Gordo'

·
Registered
Nissan
2,992 Posts
best gear is to wear long pants, long sleeve shirt pair of leather gloves if you like, either pair of safety glasses or full mask and some ear muffs. But no gear from anywhere in the world is gonna stop an angry chainsaw on full throttle in the hands of an inexperianced operator going postal and harming or killing them. 2 day safety course is the best safety advice you will ever get..
I beg to differ, while I fully agree no-one should work with saws unless they are fully and properly trained - I worked in a Stihl shop and therefore had reps coming in to prove the worth of their goods. The stihl chaps in particular jammed the saw before it had time to cut through the thickness of the pants (on a dummy using and ms260 at full noise) since then I have never used a saw without them - even experienced arborists make mistakes, let alone those of us who use a saw one a weekly, monthly or occasional basis

·
Banned
682 Posts
I have witnessed a 044 magnum saw at full noise being stopped by a pair of clogger chaps and that happened without a nick to the users body, the front wasn't stained with blood but the rear was stained with brown smelly stuff. I never use a saw without chaps or normally full trousers if cutting a load of wood, face shield and earmuffs are a must too.

·
Registered
nissan
446 Posts
Agree chaps will save your legs but they don't save the the upper half. Ask the stihl rep about the video they used to have where the saw kicked back and cut open the guys stomach spilling his breakfast on he ground in front of him. I watched it years ago when i done course at stihl. When the guy put it on he told the 4 of us that the toilet is that way first. Most common injuries to people legs with chainsaws is people drop starting them.

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
Its the fingers I would be worried about (personally). I dont and cant afford to ever use one again. In the hospital setting, the thing that I see that catches a lot of people out (that have lost fingers and hands) is the old piece of fencing wire or bolt burried in the wood.

·
Registered
Nissan
2,992 Posts
As I said... They are definately not a substitute for training, but by god I'd rather have them if stuff goes wrong!!! Yes kickback is dangerous, which is why any saw with a tampered or removed brake cannot legally be serviced at any Australian repair center, and while losing a finger can be both extremely painful and detrimental to hand function, you will most likely survive, whereas put a saw through your leg an your life is measured in minutes in some cases. Training and gear are BOTH as important as each other, neither is good enuff by itself

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
The neighbour next door is 70 odd years young
Been felling trees since he was 15 years old
Never ever used gloves,or face mask
Long pants,long sleeve shirt,ear plugs
He still drops trees to this day
His weapon of choice Stihl 090
I rather use the 090 than the 026

The local SES head chief has certs for this,certs for that regarding chainsaws
Even after all this paper work ,he still isnt a whisper on the neighbour
Respect for the ssaw is a real important issue as well

SES do free chainsaw courses when you join there clan
Any safety gear is probably better then none Truckster

·
Banned
682 Posts
The neighbour next door is 70 odd years young
Been felling trees since he was 15 years old
Never ever used gloves,or face mask
Long pants,long sleeve shirt,ear plugs
He still drops trees to this day
His weapon of choice Stihl 090
I rather use the 090 than the 026

The local SES head chief has certs for this,certs for that regarding chainsaws
Even after all this paper work ,he still isnt a whisper on the neighbour
Respect for the ssaw is a real important issue as well

SES do free chainsaw courses when you join there clan
Any safety gear is probably better then none Truckster
Must be fit for a 70 yr old, 090s are illegal for use now for anything other than mills now cause they don't have a chain brake but then there are heaps of saws around still without them but I won't be using any of them.

·
Registered
nissan
199 Posts
since when did the op ask about traning courses and injurys

the place i put up earlier also advertise in trackwatch

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so, does anyone else know anywhere in aus to get the gear...

bigbear said:
Four Wheel Drive Victoria run the best course apparently for chainsaws. $160 or something over 2 days. Dunno about rAdelaide.
BB Brings on the funnay!!!

TAFE is where we are running our courses through. With the current Gov grants you can get much better deals.

its the gear for the users we are after.

·
Registered
Nissan
2,992 Posts
Contact a few mower/power equipment places, however those prices u quoted for the us are a lot better than I have ever seen

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Tassie,
Yes for a 70 year old very fit
Throws it around like a toy,and a master to watch

Must get back on topic,
Dont wanna upset anyone

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,289 Posts
can't really help on where to get apart from a chainsaw shop, (State the obvious) But after years of glasses and sometimes ear plugs, I have almost been converted, after a chainsaw course for work.

We wear a stack hat and ear muffs, chaps, and glasses.
Have seen photos of what hard hats stop, One being a chain on kick back, small mark on head but no cut
Chaps, they stop alot, as said and have seen some pics and some saftey notices of people resting the saw on there leg ( before it had stop and not useing the chain break, Lucky for Chaps)

Clogger chapps are hot and uncomfortable, sthil chaps are much better, either way chaps are a good thing, you can get chain saw pants, which is what i'm after.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts