Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guy i need your help,i like to change may old mq l 2.8 with a gu ti 4,8 d/f but most of may friend and other mechanic they said that doesn't like to run on gas,and also because they run on gas the engine run hot.
i find a ti patrol with 331000 km do yuo think they are to much? the gu is very dry no leak drive well but may worry about the mileage please help me i need to give answer by friday

thank you

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
330k klms is a LOT of klms. What sort of price is it?

There should be dozens of 4.8's with less klms than that.

Theres a few threads on 4.8's on gas on the forum, have a search and see what you find.

·
Registered
nissan
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the car yard said the can easily sell it for 23000 but i trade in may mq they can give for 17000 what you think

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,064 Posts
If you could settle for an ST instead of a TI you should be able to get one for that sort of money with far less k's. TB48 engines run good on gas if they are setup properly. They can burn out valves, especially if they are run too lean. You must make sure that if you run gas (well even on Petrol really) that you make sure that the shims on the valves are checked regularly. Hotter upper temps from gas and bad valve clearances is a recipe for disaster. As for the k's on the one your looking for I can't comment, mine only has 185k on the clock and my mates TI has 210,000k's or so. Both are still going strong (touch wood), but add another 100,000k's I don't know. I'll wait for someone else to reply on that one.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Frank,
Ive seen the pics of your MQ and its a very very nice looking rig
Although you are some what time restricted in your choices , whack another good L28 in the MQ and itll go for another 30 years
Not real up to date on the GUs (my choice i hate them)
But running any car on LPG as said set up properly itll run fine
Do a search regarding LPG and its plus or minus effects
Some people go to LPG to bypass any petrol or such problems (not all,some)
The car should have an LPG certificate with the sale,ring the LPG place that checked it over and talk to them about it
I did this with one GQ i looked at and the LPG place told me it was a pile of sh*t
Get the vehicle independantly inspected
NOT THRU THE YARD
DONT TRUST THE CAR YARD

Dont let them pressure you in a sale,you buy when your comfortable

·
Registered
nissan patrol
325 Posts
If you could settle for an ST instead of a TI you should be able to get one for that sort of money with far less k's. TB48 engines run good on gas if they are setup properly. They can burn out valves, especially if they are run too lean. You must make sure that if you run gas (well even on Petrol really) that you make sure that the shims on the valves are checked regularly. Hotter upper temps from gas and bad valve clearances is a recipe for disaster. As for the k's on the one your looking for I can't comment, mine only has 185k on the clock and my mates TI has 210,000k's or so. Both are still going strong (touch wood), but add another 100,000k's I don't know. I'll wait for someone else to reply on that one.
Jeff,
my 4.8 is at 195k being on gas since 155k so 40k on the injected system with the upper cylinder lubricant and it hasn't missed a beat, but I am planning on doing the plugs soon and when I have injection manifold apart I plan to inspect the valves and replace the shims if needed, hope to get 300k out of mine, but it does worry me a little with the 4.8's not liking gas in comparison to the 4.2's and 4.5's which just keep going and going, still would love to know how some others out there are going with their 4.8's since they converted them to gas later in the engine lives

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,064 Posts
Jeff,
my 4.8 is at 195k being on gas since 155k so 40k on the injected system with the upper cylinder lubricant and it hasn't missed a beat, but I am planning on doing the plugs soon and when I have injection manifold apart I plan to inspect the valves and replace the shims if needed, hope to get 300k out of mine, but it does worry me a little with the 4.8's not liking gas in comparison to the 4.2's and 4.5's which just keep going and going, still would love to know how some others out there are going with their 4.8's since they converted them to gas later in the engine lives
Well mines running a mixer setup and has been on gas since 123,000kms. 185,000kms on it now. I have another friend who has had his 4.8 on LPG since new and it's got nearly as many as mine on it now, he has had some problems with his though, valves etc. But in saying that his runs very lean as he gets awesome k's out of a tank compared to me and he runs 34" tyres.

·
Registered
nissan
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i give up to buy the 4.8 to much pressure in short period of time and also so many km on the clock and to much many to spend to buy it.
I'm stick with my l 2.8 mq for the moment,also i like to know guy which engine of the patrol is the best,i heard a lot of very disappointing in regard the .3 diesel also for the 2.8 as well.i need help for clarify my mind and have no esitation when i go to buy another patrol

thank you for your imput

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Price and simplcity stick another L28 back in
These were in a heap of other nissans
The "Z"cars, the 280C,Patrols both MQ and MK
They can be had for fair price
IF ya go to the SD33 either N/A (Naturaly aspirated)OR Turbo
You need to move engine mounts,the front and rear tailshafts are different
(Getting either tailshafts for a 5 speed SWB in diesel are rare as rockin horse sh*t)
The radiators are different,then ya need all the gear for the diesel,Glow plug timers,relays ect ect
If your goin to update to a later model ,go for a GQ either diesel or petrol
These are good rigs,but good lately command good money

·
Registered
nissan
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i go for the 2.8 diesel ,i don't pull any boat or trailer,i need it for work and weekend toys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts