Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

A mate of mine has seen the light and has just ordered a new Patrol which will go straight from the showroom to the workshop for a complete fitout. Part of the changes he is doing is to have a 3inch exhaust fitted and I was wondering whether anyone has heard of any issues in doing this?

Many thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
There is a couple of things he could do first and there is better advice from other guys on the forum than me. but what I would look at first is the EGR block, Boost gauge, catch can etc. Which are reasonably simple mods.
Doing the exhaust, while has a major benefit, the 3 inch system can leave to over boosting.
Many of the forum members use a dawes valve mod to restrict the boost, so you need to look at this option as well.
If you friend is new to the forum, I would advice any one to read Chaz bible and documentation at the beginning of the forum.
Hope that helps
G

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,790 Posts
Dampier1, do any of the mentioned on a new vehicle and good bye warrantee……

A friend of mine who has a 200 cruiser put just the boost gauges (twin turbo) in and got all sorts of grief when he had pin ***** radiator hose leak.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi Drillerboy
How does a boost gauge place a hole in the radiator.
Ask Toyota tech's to put that in writing,
Just because you do limited mod in your vehicle, it does not void the total car warranty, unless that mod is contributed to the warranty claim.
If you mod your exhaust and the turbo goes, then they may have an argument, but they still have to prove that the exhaust was the cause. Not just guess because you changed it
If I lifted my bonnet and added brake fluid because it was low, does this void a warranty claim on a problem I might have on a dashboard. No

·
Registered
nissan
625 Posts
Does this happen on a CRD?
I'll answer my own question, Fitted a 3" system this weekend. Max boost has not changed, but the boost appears to be much higher with the same load as before.
Could be my imagination but the engine seems to loose revs quicker??? more responsive?

Turbo whistle is much louder.

Blocked the EGR, and had the check code come up twice. Someone suggested this could happen in cold weather, but it's being 40 in Melb when it threw the codes.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
104 Posts
when euro4 came out all cars had to be fitted with egr flow detection abilty, so blocking egr is almost impossible without fault codes chip it have had some luck on some vehicles in tricking the computer to think it is still running. The boost is controlled different and use the maf to control boost so dawes valves won't be needed and over boosting won't be a problem. I had a 3" system with 100 cell cat on my 3litre bt50 and boost was quicker but never recorded a problem

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Hi Drillerboy
How does a boost gauge place a hole in the radiator.
Ask Toyota tech's to put that in writing,
Just because you do limited mod in your vehicle, it does not void the total car warranty, unless that mod is contributed to the warranty claim.
If you mod your exhaust and the turbo goes, then they may have an argument, but they still have to prove that the exhaust was the cause. Not just guess because you changed it
If I lifted my bonnet and added brake fluid because it was low, does this void a warranty claim on a problem I might have on a dashboard. No
Stray electical current from incorrectly earthed accessories can do this without to much drama

Regards Don

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi pmturnbull
Your are spot on, if you use the chipit brand. Other brands, not sure
Chipit brand say you can blank your egr off as the module controls error code.

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
ASN

A mate of mine has seen the light and has just ordered a new Patrol which will go straight from the showroom to the workshop for a complete fitout. Part of the changes he is doing is to have a 3inch exhaust fitted and I was wondering whether anyone has heard of any issues in doing this?
  • Better fuel economy
  • Fater turbo spoolup = power on sooner
  • Engine runs smoother and pulls harder
  • NO Overboost at all on 2008 CRD and I would assume later models
  • Works extremely well with a Chip
  • Last but not least, sounds bl..dy beautiful

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
Mic

3'' hey?

:grin:REALLY?
I have not had any problems at all with a 3" Hi Flow system even before fitting the Chipit chip. With the Chipit on the engine and the MAP mod done, it seems even better controlled.
Also EGR is blocked.

Fuel economy has improved beyond what I had hoped for, which was the reason I have done it all. Better intercooler and scoop next.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hey BradM
Did you find the chipit brand increased boost, I notice they are managing the system with higher boost control. Is that right

·
Registered
Nissan CRD
893 Posts
Hey BradM
Did you find the chipit brand increased boost, I notice they are managing the system with higher boost control. Is that right
I asked the same question and was told by Justin, the Chipit dealer in Perth that you need to load up the Fuel/Boost Maps from folder 3 to bring on the extra boost with their chip. Up to about 4 PSI extra at max they tell me. I am currently running the highest setting in folder 2 (Custom 2) which I am very happy with for performance and economy as I was chasing fuel economy on my CRD more than performance. Also to move into folder 3 you need to do the fuel rail mods. The Banjo bolt mod would be easy to spot because of the different size of the bolt head and the color of the bolt head. The other way which is the fuel pressure valve release mechanism would be invisible and undetectable and I will probably go this way at some stage.

My ZD30 CRD is humming now but I want to get a much better Intercooler/scoop before I do anything else (Apart from front and Rear Lockers ;)).

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks BradM
I like the idea the chip controls the boost with a 3'exhaust upgrade and egr blocked off. I too would not be interested in a boost increase, but more the performance and fuel economy.
At present, I am just letting the new CRD run in and then look at taking a few reading with boost and temps. In the mean time look at a water trap and catch can
Thanks again Brad for the input
G

1 - 16 of 16 Posts