Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
not sure if this has been discussed much, but has anyone changed their own plugs on their 4.8?? I wanna do mine soon and my big question is for those who have done it, did you have to replace the main injection manifold gasket? or does it break apart with out damaging it? and local manager at Auto barn suggested that the normal plugs are fine in them rather than spending the big $$$ on the 100k ones, mine have been in for at least 60k now with out problems so hence the questions, thanks guys

·
Registered
nissan
38 Posts
done mine had no probs with gasket not a big job going with the iridium this time

·
Registered
59 Posts
No problems also with mine - just a pain having to take throttle body off , also the one closest to the firewall was hard to get out because of hoses etc - I took some time and threw out the big clip and moved hoses a bit so that the long magnetic plug spanner needed would go straight down easily - and it is a long way.

Used $9 plugs also and still good after about 70,000km.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
38 Posts
I changed mine without doing any gaskets, cant remember taking the throttle body off either ?? I fitted NKG LPG plugs in. I noticed that you have the injected gas, the LPG plug might be a better option

casey

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Hi all,
not sure if this has been discussed much, but has anyone changed their own plugs on their 4.8?? I wanna do mine soon and my big question is for those who have done it, did you have to replace the main injection manifold gasket? or does it break apart with out damaging it? and local manager at Auto barn suggested that the normal plugs are fine in them rather than spending the big $$$ on the 100k ones, mine have been in for at least 60k now with out problems so hence the questions, thanks guys
Why would you fit cheap plugs and have to do them 5 times in 100k (interval is 20K) when you can buy the right ones and do it once??? You really only need to change the throttle body gasket (looks like a big pair of sunglasses) to do them. Might be able to do it without as some have suggested but how hard do you want to make it for yourself? I would do the gasket and make it easy.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Wor's a ssspaark pluuug?

;)

Mate i've always gone with NGK in my petty cars. Always been good, bit these fandangled 100K things would be my next option. As Nizzbits said. Why do it every few months when you cana do them every timing belt change?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why would you fit cheap plugs and have to do them 5 times in 100k (interval is 20K) when you can buy the right ones and do it once??? You really only need to change the throttle body gasket (looks like a big pair of sunglasses) to do them. Might be able to do it without as some have suggested but how hard do you want to make it for yourself? I would do the gasket and make it easy.
Whats the gasket worth by any chamce? and maybe the LPG ones could be worth it or just go the iridium plugs? cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu series 3 4.8
26 Posts
Gday petercj1974,
I run the NGK LFR5A-11 in my 4.8 GU on gas and they are fine just make sure the gaps are set as per factory specification. There are NGK platinum plugs LFR5A1X-11 that you can put in, for the only reason being you will get 80 to 100 thousand k's out of them. As everyone knows who owns a 4.8 changing the plugs is a pain in the back side.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
as part of the fittiment at lpgas1 they use spark plugs that have 3 electrodes. i asked about the iridium and they were telling me they cause it to backfire more.... no idea how correct this is, or whether it only effects certain gas systems, (mixer style have a tendency to backfire anyway)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I got iridium plugs for my 4.8, just got to fit them yet and they are for gas too. NGK- LFR6AIX-11, the 6 being a cooler plug for LPG. Got them from Nissan for $17.95 ea from memory if this helps anyone

1 - 15 of 15 Posts