Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, has anybody put a TD42 diesel into a petrol body, have searched and searched but to not much avail.
mine collided with a large rock on the weekend and have twisted the body pretty bad, also the body mounts are bent. so am looking at putting all my gear into the new body and chassis. just wanna know if anybody has done it and how much of a pain it was?
Cheers in advance.
Rob :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
There was a thread not long ago about the same topic. It's pretty straight forward to do seeing as you have a donor car to work with. Apart from swapping the engine, you will need to also swap radiators and hoses. You can either keep or swap gearboxes, just change the bellhousing if you like. I think the petrol box has taller ratios so I'm thinking about putting my petrol box back in (or alteast swapping 5th gear).
You may need to change engine mounts and brackets if you have 2 different types e.g 2 bolt vs 4 bolt.
If you have a carby model then the wiring is simple, all you need to do is extend the petrol wiring harness to suit the diesel. The fuel cut is the same plug for both and all you need to do is extend the alternator and temp sensor wires. You will also need to hook up the tacho wire and change the actual tacho inside the gauge cluster on the dash. I think the oil pressure switch uses the same plug too, otherwise you may need to just change the pressure switch. The glow system is simple if you only want a push button glow system like mine, or you can rewire the glow timer into your other truck.
It's been a while since my diesel swap but I think I got most of the main info for you.:D

·
Registered
nissan
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers mate, that is very helpful information and seems i have alot less to worry about than i thought.....

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
There was a thread not long ago about the same topic. It's pretty straight forward to do seeing as you have a donor car to work with. Apart from swapping the engine, you will need to also swap radiators and hoses. You can either keep or swap gearboxes, just change the bellhousing if you like. I think the petrol box has taller ratios so I'm thinking about putting my petrol box back in (or alteast swapping 5th gear).
You may need to change engine mounts and brackets if you have 2 different types e.g 2 bolt vs 4 bolt.
If you have a carby model then the wiring is simple, all you need to do is extend the petrol wiring harness to suit the diesel. The fuel cut is the same plug for both and all you need to do is extend the alternator and temp sensor wires. You will also need to hook up the tacho wire and change the actual tacho inside the gauge cluster on the dash. I think the oil pressure switch uses the same plug too, otherwise you may need to just change the pressure switch. The glow system is simple if you only want a push button glow system like mine, or you can rewire the glow timer into your other truck.
It's been a while since my diesel swap but I think I got most of the main info for you.:D
thats about rite, If you get a auto donor car the diff ratios are differnt. in the manual ther 4.1 in the auto there 3.9 so you will need to swap ur centers or diffs if you get a auto.
Im pretty sure the manual boxes are all the same iv had a couple of petrol and diesel ones in my trucks and i never noticed a differnce. just the bell housing is differnt. well there the same you just need to drill and tap the 3rd hole for the startermoter

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I not long ago done this with an SD33T much the same wiring process was an L28

was easy as but little tricky when came to glow plug, what I did was used the original solienoid and then just brought a universal glow plug timer unit fron an auto sparky cost $100 for the timer and $100 for them to wire the whole thing up for me including longer batter cables as with MQ's battery are on the other side in the two

if you have the 2 dashes I would try as I did with the MQ just swap out the whole cluster and then you should only have to find glow plug light source (normally just a ignition wire) but with the universal timers it's not needed tacho on the diesle run of the front of the engine follow the wiring down from where your glow plug circut sits on the intake manifold can't miss, if you run into truble with this you just make another harness running from this to the plug on the tacho from the diesle dash ( just cut the plug out of your old harness and rewire to the engine

·
Registered
nissan
11,162 Posts
When I done to save having to make The harness and stuff work I just swapped the complete harness from under the passenger seat thru tk the engine bay. Does require dash r&r but easy enough. Then if you reuse original dash put a globe in the glow plug hole and also swap tacho units into cluster as petrol is different to diesel.
This way glow plugs and every operate exactly as they did before. I don't regret doing this to mine at all. And took me 5 days doing approx 7 hours average day to go from driving tb42 into shed to driving out in td42 powered trol. Couple of longer days but not long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts