nissan mk
970 Posts
Hey guys I have a 5 speed and a 4 speed
The 5 is sd33t bellhousing the 4 is l28 want to swap them over
What is involved in changing the bell housing from the 4 to 5 so I can
Use the 5 on my l28 I know I have to change the bellhousing and input shaft
Bellhousing is the easy bit but how sou you change input shaft
Is it a big job or can you so it while box in car
Haven't done one but I imagine its a big job if you need to change the input. (Some boxes have a ring with a bolt holding the input in (alla early Holdens) but even then you would have to get the box back far enough to to put it in. Have a look on Neroks links for diagram in parts book or service manual.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
It can be done but you have to get the box out of the 'Trol. You even have the take the transfer case off.

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
You can't simply swap input shafts between 4(old type before 85?) and 5 speed - different number and shape of teeth. Also SD33 and SD33T boxes are different.

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See the 5 speed is in trol no motor l28 with 4speed attached in lwb basically don't want to change tail shafts as 5 speed is in shorty

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
im interested to know if this is a goer, i have read it is. the bellhousing swap fine.

Azotek makes a good point about gears, because the 4 speed and 2x 5 speeds all have different first gears. not sure what this would effect, i havent inspected one yet. might pull the lid off a 5 speed this weekend and see what the go is.

im seeing other problems with whatever your doing stokedappolo.

if your putting the L28 into the SWB, the engine will sit much further back to the firewall and wont line up with the engine mounts. the engine may hit the firewall?

if your putting the 5 speed into the LWB L28, the 5 speed wont have the necessary 'output' to suit divorced transfer. im not sure if the 4 speed output can be swapped onto a 5 speed that was previously 'attached'. if it can be swapped, you would still need to shorten the driveshaft connecting the gearbox and transfer. you would also need to swap the gearsticks over, they are in different position along the top of the gearbox.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nerok I am just trying to decide if having l28 in shorty with the 5 speed ATM l28 is mates with the 4 speed I have all engine mounts etc for l28 just thought might be esier bolting it too 5 speed so I wouldn't have to put in the divorced transfer case etc

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
well gearbox for sd33 and p40 sit behind the firewall, whereas L28 sits in-front. so L28 may hit the firewall if installed that far back, meaning you either have to hack firewall up or move the gearbox forward, which means different driveshafts. either way, your will need to cut off the chassis mounts for the engine and reposition them.
edit: this might explain it better, especially the picture, http://nerok.info/general/driveline_components

a lot of work for little result by the sounds of it. just slap a v8 in the swb :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I need to keep l28 in it to get Vic reg without having to do roadworthy as it's still reg
I still have to take it Ino Vic roads and show that this model came out with l28 tho
It's still reg in west oz but good ok wa Dosnt put all the info on data base so they need to see it
So it would prob be easier just to put l28 in with 4 speed and get shafts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
probably easier to buy a new car lol. it will be a lot of effort to get the divorced transfer into the swb, if it even fits. it is probably so long (all combined) that the rear driveshaft would be tiny. and there is no allowance for the extra crossmember required.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I never did it but a gearbox rebuilt shop that is specialized in Japanse gearboxes told me i could be done.

But i'm sure you have to take the gearbox out of the car, how would you unbolt your topcover?
And like neRok mentions, 4 and 5 speeds are in different locations on the frame so you have to relocate the mounts.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Azotek makes a good point about gears, because the 4 speed and 2x 5 speeds all have different first gears. not sure what this would effect, i havent inspected one yet. might pull the lid off a 5 speed this weekend and see what the go is.
one more thing = needle bearing bethween input and outgoing shaft may be different size
(I'm not sure - but I know they are different on Cabstar and Patrol 5speed box - Cabstar box is with slower first gear too)

one possibility = cut both input shafts and weld them together again

·
Registered
227 Posts
i just installed a tranny that apparently came from a firetruck.

if your tranny looks like this

then removing the input shaft is easy. just remove the cover and pull out the input shaft (here in the phil. we call it the main drive). just be carefull that the needle bearings and spacers are left inside the tranny.

this new tranny is for the petrol version and my old tranny is for the sd33t. there is a difference in length of the input drive. i had to machine down the input drive from the petrol tranny by around 1 inch. this was because i could not interchange the input shaft. because the gear on the input shaft of my diesel tranny is smaller than the petrol tranny.

as to gearing. the first and second gear of the diesel tranny is lower than the petrol. 3rd, 4rth are the same. but the transfer case was lower. ratio was 2.220. compared to my diesel tranny 2.009.

hope this helps

·
Registered
193 Posts
dont forget the new gasket you need it between input shaft housing and box:Deasy job

·
Registered
193 Posts
im not sure but be aware on some occasions on the 5 speed the input shaft has a step up and can affect spigot bush and will wear out rear main bearings there is 3 different input shaft lenghts.hope this helps

1 - 20 of 20 Posts