Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
GU Patrol Wagon Series 1
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people

I'm about to change the coolant on the old girl and i was just wondering if anyone knows how many letres it take and what is the best brand to use?

Also is there a drain plug on the block sumwhere or does everyone just unscrew the plug on the bottom of the radiator?

Any help would be awesome

cheers

Phil

·
Registered
nissan
501 Posts
not sure on ltrs but ive always used techtaloy green, you can either pull the botton rad hose of or there should be a bung in the under side of your rad.

·
Registered
GU Patrol Wagon Series 1
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the techtaloy pre mixed or do you have to mix it yourself? would prefer to have it premixed less messing around.

Whats the best way to get all the coolant out of the heater hoses do you have to turn the engine over with the heater on hot and cranked to the max?

Cheers

Phil

·
Registered
nissan
539 Posts
It won't matter what setting you have the heater on as the Patrols have a constant flow heater system, whereby the radiator water is always flowing through the heater.

Be sure to flush all the old coolant out of the system, as there are some horror stories from people mixing coolants.

·
Registered
757 Posts
i dont bother mixing mine i figure it will mix in the engine pretty quickley. i remove the therostat when flushing the system to make sure you get all the old coolant out.

·
Registered
GU Patrol Wagon Series 1
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok yea thats a fair point it should get mixed around fairly quick

What size bottle of coolant do you fellas normally buy to do the job? 20L or something along those lines?

·
Registered
757 Posts
i buy the Nulon Green Long Life Concentrated Coolant in a 5 litre bottle because it mixes up to 13 litres once you add water.
Its also good for 4 years or 250,000km even though i change it every 100,000km when the timing belt gets done.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Most places stock the stuff and from memory its about $40 for a 5 litre bottle.

Done for get to drain you overflow tank when replacing the coolant

·
Registered
nissan
8,921 Posts
Hey max,

I got the PM but 'the man' dont like me sending PMs when I should be concentrating on other stuff.

There is a drain plug on the block and a drain/bleed point in the heater hoses.
- block drain is on the passengers side just below the turbo water feed (bout 4" from the rear of the block)
- the heater drain is on the drivers side, follow the heater tubes and just before they cross over the engine bay there is a rubber nipple.

I have used a few differnt types of coolant over the years (Nissan, Mercruiser Long Life) but Ive recently bought 20L of Tectalloy 100, bout $33 per 5L. If ARE use it in $7k w2a intercoolers its good enough for me and my new PWR alloy radiator.

·
Registered
GU Patrol Wagon Series 1
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Benno

ill have a look at the weekend for the stuff your talking about, i hear what your saying about what ARE use it in.

How was the PWR radiator to fit? did it take much modding to the radiator mounts?

cheers

phil

·
Registered
nissan
8,921 Posts
Mate, I dont have the rad yet, I only ordered it yesterday and they have to make it and send it up. It should arrive about the 26/27th.

Ill be dissapointed if there is any modding as that means the drawings I was sent were not followed by the bloke building it ;) The GU ZD30 part no 6291 is a direct fit for the 2.8.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,670 Posts
I only use the Toyota coolant, for it's inhibitor properties. I know it's Toyota, but that what my mechanic uses and he swears by it. It's red in colour, he said the green coolant does not have good enough anti corrosion stuff in it. And he only charges me $30 for a complete system flush and new coolant
Troy

·
Registered
GU Patrol Wagon Series 1
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nice mate ive had my eye on one of these for a while!!! Fingers crossed it just slides in the mounts for ya!!

make sure you post up some pics once shes all plumbed in!!

cheers

phil

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.