Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some tips on changing springs and shocks over in the driveway. Usually have access to a hoist but don't at the moment.

Wondering remove panhard, jack up one side, axle stand under chassis, same to other, support diff then remove wheels, drop diff, away we go?

Trouble I'm seeing is 4" springs going in and out so got a bit of flex to deal with. Got some spring compressors but they are not very long.

How does everyone else approach this?

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
685 Posts
i put my 3'' springs in with 15mm spacers, how i did it was
jack up the diff as far as possible, axle stands under the chassis, undo sway bars, shocks and brakeline and then drop the axle
cheers
Blake

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
If youre changing coils they need a bit of help to fit on the posts on the diff.
Put the vehicle down, Ratchet strap through about the third coil up from the bottom and around the bullbar and pull the bottom of the coil forward.

When it comes time to refit the panhard the ratchet strap comes in handy too.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
buy/borrow/hire some better spring compressors

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
I purchased some spring compressors off ebay for $25, then done it on a non-level driveway in 2.5 hours. Its easy, undo the the shockers, pan hard and swaybar, drop the diff onto a ground spacer, and remove old springs and shocks, fit newies, jack up the diff and reattach everything. That's how I done all mine in an morning (including lowering a BMW, Commo and lifting a Landcrusier)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
305 Posts
Also remove the bump stop, it makes it so much easier. It's only held on by one nut + 3 bolt for the cover plate

·
Registered
208 Posts
ya don't need spring compressors.....i fitted 5inch springs front n back without them.....jack the car up fair high.... remove shocks, drop the diff as low as possible, change springs...... but on the front i had to put a bottle jack between the suspension arm and something solid on the chassis..... did that with 50mm extended bumpstops in and the panhard still on ;)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,861 Posts
Yeah mate, like wise fitted 5" spring with no spring compressors no drama's. In all seriousness if your not confident or have no mechanical back ground and you need to ask here were everyone will have a different opinion that may only confuse you more, its peace of mind to pay a reputable suspension place to fit it for you.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
ya don't need spring compressors.....i fitted 5inch springs front n back without them.....jack the car up fair high.... remove shocks, drop the diff as low as possible, change springs...... but on the front i had to put a bottle jack between the suspension arm and something solid on the chassis..... did that with 50mm extended bumpstops in and the panhard still on ;)
I hope you fitted a longer brake line first.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I hope you fitted a longer brake line first.
Maybe I should tell him how to setup extened bumpstops..... Oh wait.... He prolly already done that too....hmmm wat about the extended brake bias braket?.... Wait..... Oh that right he already should have all that gear in the car.....turns out he just doing the springs...... Phhht :-/

·
Registered
nissan
205 Posts
Very easy to do in the driveway. I did what many have done
1. Jack up from axle
2. Place jackstands under chasis
3. Remove bump stops
4. Support diff with jack
5. Remove shocks (this is where air tools can be really handy)
6. Lower jack under diff, the springs will just fall out
7. I used spring compressors to get the new springs in. It would of worked with a lever, but I felt spring compressors for the 5inch springs were a safer option.
8. Dont forget to put the bump stops back in the coil, before you put the coil in.
9. Jack up the diff untill you can get the shocks back on.

10. SAFETY. Generally buy this time the Patrol will be resting on the jack, not the jack stands. Be very carefully and adjust the height of the jack stands as needed.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't understand why u people think the bumpstops need to come out..... And home stylespring compressors are just plain dangerous..... Espessially in the hands of someone with limited experiance.....why use them when u don't have too?, I didn't even have to a bar to get mine in....

·
Registered
nissan
205 Posts
I don't understand why u people think the bumpstops need to come out..... And home stylespring compressors are just plain dangerous..... Espessially in the hands of someone with limited experiance.....why use them when u don't have too?, I didn't even have to a bar to get mine in....
1. bump stops dont need to come out, it just makes it a little easier, especially in a drive way with long springs. I prefer making a job easier if it just involves removing a few bolts.

2. Spring compressors if used correctly should have no issues. Ive used them for years and never had an issue. I suppose all tools have a degree of risk, just use them correctly and all should be fine.

·
Registered
208 Posts
1. bump stops dont need to come out, it just makes it a little easier, especially in a drive way with long springs. I prefer making a job easier if it just involves removing a few bolts.

2. Spring compressors if used correctly should have no issues. Ive used them for years and never had an issue. I suppose all tools have a degree of risk, just use them correctly and all should be fine.
How does it make it any easyier with the bumpstops out and spring compressors? They just slide straight in without compressor and the bumpstops in place..... U just making more work for ya self...... I'll say it again..... It doesn't get any easyier than just sliding the Spring in, so why bother with all that other [email protected]?

·
Registered
Nissan
2,992 Posts
Not on mine it doesn't I need the spring compressors - bump stop out makes it a lot easier too - mine is only 2 inch lift - I would imagine bigger lif would be even more challenging!!

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Agree dont need spring compressors! Wear a full face crash helmet if you do. They can be dangerous!!

·
Registered
nissan
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right, turns out I have access to a hoist this weekend so it will make life heaps easier than driveway so maybe I should change the title. Last lift I did everything needed to (extended brake bias bracket, brakes lines, panhards,etc but never did bumpstops as I had tough crap shocks having internal bump stops. Now going to SRC so bumpstops will need to come out anyway.

As a general consenus how much are people extending bumpstops for 4" lift? I will be measuring new shocks at full compression flexed up without springs in then adding about 25mm. Does that sound about right?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,861 Posts
Hey mate,sorry was'nt much help to you yesterday, bad mood had to go back to work, anyway try the superior web site http://www.superiorengineering.com.au/index.php?pag_id=5678 and click on the Nissan patrol lift kits. Even if you use this a check list to be sure you have'nt forgotten anything. Yes mate your right on the set up of your bumpstops add 25mm to be on the safe side.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts