Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I want to change the colour of the entire interior illumination in my patrol. I am bored of the horrid orange colour and want to change it to a nice bright blue colour.
Does anyone know what level of difficulty this would be, and roughly the number of globes that would need to be replaced?
I know that I wouldn't be ableto change the colour of the stereo, but that's no big deal as I am just about to replace it with a VMS system or something.
Any help with this would be great.

Thanks
Dave T.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,790 Posts
I did this when I put the EGT / Boost pillar pod in, was not hard at all. However, I changed back again as I could not get the same colour match on the VDO EGT and Boost gauges. The EGT was close with the sock that came with the gauge, but the large VDO boost globe was a hassle and I just could not get it to match as there was no colour one that size available. So it was a case of getting the right colour plastic sock to go over it and that was a hassle, as I said, close but no cigar. With the stereo remaining the same as before I thought it looked crap and changed it back again.

I went to Repco in Manduarh and bought a box of 20 for approx $50 (getting older, the mind does not remember details like it used to) and figured on keeping the left over’s as spares if needed. Supercrap had cheaper in their home brand, but I always say you get what you pay for. Though in saying that, they most likely all come out of the same Chinese factory lol. You can get LED kits on ebay for under $20, your guess is as good as mine as to the quality.

Can’t remember the exact amount required, but it is about 6 or 7. Pulling the dash out was fairly simple, won’t give a blow by blow description as I just followed the GU manual I got from supercrap. It’s somewhat obtuse, but not as bad as the DIG manual when I installed their DVD-Radio-Reverse-Bluetooth etc unit (which has red lights, so would have had to change again anyway). Very basically, remove all the clips, screws and pop out surrounds, remove the steering column retainer bolts to let it drop down and pull out the dash.

A mate, who is pretty switched on with tech stuff, said to me that the thing to remember is to get the right rating on the globes. Buy cheap Chinese unrated 12v and they can go pretty fast with voltage fluctuations, make sure you get globes rated to at least 16v, another reason I went to Repco and ordered in. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, Drillerboy.
I will do a bit of skulking around the interior and decide exactly what I need.
Much appreciated.

Dave T

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Theres a massive thread on changing the globes to blue with photos.. was a few years ago

have a search

1 - 8 of 8 Posts