nissan
7,539 Posts
Used to like the falcon key, would go too one of these with out secodt thoughts

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ironically after my gripe at how slow the Australia postal service can be...my two flip out keys arrived today.
By good fortune the guy at the lock smith was aware that there is a small embedded 'hidden' chip inside the old Nissan key that also has to be swapped over to the new flip out key...if I'd had done this myself there's no way I'd have known about the chip!

Anyhow...all works well and I can recommend this supplier.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Thats pretty cool. My remote usually dies every 2 years so im about due for another remote soon anyway.

How did you get on programming it?

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,675 Posts
Id be happy if I could just get the rubber membrane on the remote.
One of my keys is broken at back of the plastic where the keyring goes both remotes have been subject to female finger nails so these are looking good.

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No programming required. It's a matter of swapping over all the internals from the existing standard key to the flip out one and then get the new teeth cut whilst it's apart.
The chip in uncased behind a white plastic/nylon insert...you can't miss it....it's the only piece of white plastic on entire the assembly.
Put a new battery while you have it open.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,016 Posts
That's pretty cool. Wouldn't mind one to bling up the old MK.
What's the quality like Streaky? Do the plastics feel reasonably good, and is the spring action good?

·
Registered
405 Posts
So mine arrived today. looks to be of good quality and a nice strong flip out action. My issue is, how the hell am I supposed to fit my internals from the old key in to the flip key. Not even close to the same size! and the buttons do not line up on the circuit board.

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The assembly in general is pretty good but the weight and overall feel isn't the same as the flip out key on my Range Rover....I'm sure if it were a Genuine Nissan item it would have more weight to it.
1Tuffgq...assuming they have sent you the correct item it should be very straight forward to undo the two screws. Carefully pry out the old PCB and battery from the old unit...not forgetting the white plastic embedded chip...and clip everything into place on the new unit.

The locksmith will have to cut the new teeth before assembly...maybe give the whole job to him since they probably have more experience in doing them?

·
Registered
892 Posts
I did mine today, cant say it was easy, bit of a trick getting spring tension back on flip out key
Locksmith who cut it said the profile isnt exactly the same and sometimes their machines stuff up the cut
He did a good job and it works fine
Unit is a bit cheap looking but works fine. Little nissan sticker will last around a week id say

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,016 Posts
Cool, feedback sounds reasonable for the price.

Wish I could use a VE/VF Commodore key fob. They have a nice spring action and a good feel.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Cool, feedback sounds reasonable for the price.

Wish I could use a VE/VF Commodore key fob. They have a nice spring action and a good feel.
The mazda ones are pretty solid too :)

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU
96 Posts
I have driven my '98 GU since 2007 with only 1 key supplied to me. I've always thought of getting another key cut, but never did so. Now my old key is pretty worn, as you would expect, so how would I get 2 new keys made up? Do I go to Mr.Nissan and pay big bucks or is there a cheaper alternative?

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,539 Posts
I have driven my '98 GU since 2007 with only 1 key supplied to me. I've always thought of getting another key cut, but never did so. Now my old key is pretty worn, as you would expect, so how would I get 2 new keys made up? Do I go to Mr.Nissan and pay big bucks or is there a cheaper alternative?
If ya cant afford $25 for a genuine key then dont eat for a day :)

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Yep the key is pretty important - the rest of the car is pretty useless without it so don't try and save money on it.. If the genuine one has lasted 13 years.. just get another one :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts