Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2020 y62 series 5 with GCC spec that comes with a hook tow hitch rather than a female (not sure what the name is). I was wondering if anyone know if the infinity rear bumper and tow hitch would fit on my series 5 or would the American or Australian unit be my only option?

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,255 Posts
There are two different chassis types, to my knowledge, with the difference being in the rear-most cross member. In Australia, Patrol has 4 weld nuts (M12 or M14, can't remember) in the centre of the rear frame. These are covered up by the (plastic) rear bumper and used to attach a centre spreader plate when installing a genuine towbar.

These same weld nuts are used to attach a Pintle hook on some GCC spec models, which pokes through a hole in the plastic bumper.

The QX80 in Australia has a 2" square hitch box welded into the rear cross member (instead of the 4 weld nuts), so in essence, the "towbar" is welded into the frame on a QX80, where it is bolted to the bottom of the frame on a Patrol.

The Patrol towbar won't fit on a QX80 because of the shape of the cross member. On a Patrol the cross member is straight accross the horizontal. The QX80 cross member is bent downwards in the centre.

If you wanted to fit a QX80 style tow bar on a Patrol, you'd have to have the rear cross member cut out and a QX80 one welded in. I'd suspect this will be a "body off frame" job as you'd need to weld on the top of the frame and considering that you can tow 3.5t, I don't think you'd want to to a half job here.

You would then also have to fit a QX80 rear bumper, which could have other implications. Australian QX80's had little plastic wheel arch extensions, which means the front and rear bumpers are slightly wider, so if you want to fit a QX80 bumper, you might also have to fit the wheel arch flares. I'm not sure what the situation is for the GCC spec units as I believe the wheel arch flares were required for 20" wheels, which were never part of AUS Patrol spec. I think 20" wheels were available for Patrol in GCC...?

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,255 Posts
The vehicle in the photo with the trailer is an Australian vehicle (Queensland license plate). That should in theory bolt straight up to yours, but I'm not sure how you'd source one as they are made in Australia, specifically for the Australian and New Zealand markets. They are only certified to Australian Design Rules. I'm not sure if this certification is accepted in GCC, most likely not.

I don't know what's available in the US. I'm guessing it'll be similar to the Australian towbar, but SAE rated.

I'd suggest you speak with your local dealer, because the next thing you'd have to worry about, is the wiring. Trailer pre-wiring is very well hidden in Australian models, behind the LHS interior plastic trim panel next to the third row seats. Again, Australian trailer wiring requirements is different to US (AUS is closer to EUR, but not the same), so I'm not sure what is required in GCC countries.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Again, thank you for the info. Dealer here has not been of much help. I know of a couple of people looking to change the tow bar and bumper so we might share the cost of one if we can source it and see how we get on with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts