Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day, i've got a mk patrol '84 and the charge light is constantly on, occasionally it will flash but it mostly just stays on but i'm pretty sure my battery isn't dead because i can start it fine everytime. i think it may be shorting out somewhere but don't really know :confused:. any help is appreciated

·
Registered
nissan
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, so that will determe weather it's the battery/altenator or not?

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
ok, so that will determe weather it's the battery/altenator or not?
hopefully , im thinking it may be a diode in the alt if the voltage is comming down in the morning , but if the voltage is a bit low when running you may have lost a phase or 2 in the alt which may be bushes or burnt out

·
Registered
nissan
2,197 Posts
A mk patrol would have an external voltage regulator.

It is possible that the alternator is ok and the regulator is the problem.

Do as stated above check the voltage at the battery with the engine running and confirm that it is charging.

The other thing you can do, if possible is remove the top of the regulator and see if there is any corrosion inside.

I don't think the problem will be with the alternator as you have stated you are not having any starting problems.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
A mk patrol would have an external voltage regulator.

It is possible that the alternator is ok and the regulator is the problem.

Do as stated above check the voltage at the battery with the engine running and confirm that it is charging.

The other thing you can do, if possible is remove the top of the regulator and see if there is any corrosion inside.

I don't think the problem will be with the alternator as you have stated you are not having any starting problems.

my bad , i forgot about the external voltage regulator , but it still could be a problem with either the alt or regulator

1 - 6 of 6 Posts