Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you guys have done to improve economy of your TB4.2 patrols? i have 33's and i know that will chew alot but im not going to put roadys on it for weekdays. i am currently getting around 3.5-4km per litre. also does anyone know where to get the intake piping from the airbox to the snorkel, just after the pre cleaner (which i removed anyway) i rang nissan and they reckon they dont stock the part. cheers

·
Registered
nissan
503 Posts
chasing better economy on a tb42 is not going to happen they are a big motor with a dirty big carb pushing around 2.5 ton of metal, it aint going to happen lol put it on gas if it is not and catch public transport.

as for the piping i got some good stuff from purple pig for $36/M its black and spiral bound, i used to run 4" ally range hood piping from bunnins that was around $35 i think, but it was weak and bent very easily, my snorkel is 4" and has 4" pipe going all the way into a custom air box.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
TB42 s are reknown for their lack of economy
20-25L/100Ks is about what everyone gets
The carb TBs are a touch dearer to run

·
Registered
nissan patrol
18 Posts
yeah thats why i catch the train every day four bucks a day compired to about 15 using petrol so i can use the big brick druing the weekend and enjoy it

·
Registered
nissan
863 Posts
As far as Fuel economy goes I get 500km/75lt tank. I think that equals 6.6km/lt. But I'm only running 31" & we run te thing on LPG most of the time which uses 250km/60lt tank.
Not sure how to get better economy baring normal stuff (tuning, tires, etc....)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,054 Posts
Buy a bike?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Just wondering what you guys have done to improve economy of your TB4.2 patrols? i have 33's and i know that will chew alot but im not going to put roadys on it for weekdays. i am currently getting around 3.5-4km per litre. also does anyone know where to get the intake piping from the airbox to the snorkel, just after the pre cleaner (which i removed anyway) i rang nissan and they reckon they dont stock the part. cheers
leave the keys inside and dont drive it :)
that will give a tb42 good economy

·
Registered
nissan
572 Posts
Buy a bike?
I did!! A motorbike tho. My swb petrol gets 16-17L/100ks on 35's standard ratios, driving a couple k's under the limit to aviod cops and thats highway driving. Once offroad they chew. Ive got a 2.5" exhaust, extractors and a snorkle.

Dont think i can get any better but its only used for camping and weekenders. Bike for me rain hail or shine

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,054 Posts
Oh yeah, I meant a motorbike. Need to get off my arse and get my license. Would be much cheaper to ride the 20 minutes to work, rather then taking the thirsty Patrol.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
With mine thats had extractors and free flow exhaust fitted and a lower ratio change has not noticable changed fuel consumption in any way for better or worse , sure performance has improved but the old girl still drinks , i can further enhance it by changing the computer program but the benifits would be minor , i have accepted that the TB42 even with EFI is a low tech dinosaur engine that when well maintained can clock up some high km's but to try and make it fuel efficient is like pissing in the wind

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,106 Posts
mine on the highway is great uses next to nothing but as soon as i slot that 4wheel drive stick into low range kiss any economie good buy

to give a small example to do a 1.5-2 hour high trip i use about 2 needle widths on the fuel gauge
as soon as i stick it in 4wd (to do about the same time) wheeling i use half a tank its like omg wtf????? lmao and no i try and conserve fuel consumption as much as possible meaning i will try idleing everywhere

my old sd33t running 15 psi with fuel wound up in a MQ swb with 4 speed used slightly more then my GQ on highway due to the 4 speed and me sitting on 110kmh but the real noticeable difference when it was in 4wheel drive and me giving it all hell wouldnt use anything extra

what takes me GQ (tb42 carby 5 speed) a full tank to do the old MQ (sd33t 4 speed) half a tank and the tank in the MQ was smaller too anyways looking at putting diesel into GQ now in some time

1 - 13 of 13 Posts