Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have been searching for info on the Gu chassis, I understand the Gu coil cab ute and wagons are identical chassis's.

But what is the difference in the Leaf spring version, bar the obvious that it has leaf springs... is it a different dimension, different strength?

I am more interested in the rear, as in the weight it can carry, I understand they can be rated to 3900kg, But is the chassis design / strength from factory very different from the coil cabs?

Or is it purely the different suspension / breaks / diff that is capable of carrying the load!

Thanks
Patrolit

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Jumped on the Nissan site. 175mm longer GVM 250kg and can upgrade GVM further 500kg more carrying capacity 162kg more. Leaf sprung vehicles can carry more.

·
Registered
nissan
76 Posts
Just from looking at mine (coil) and a mates (leaf). The only difference in the chassis is the leaf has an extra part welded on the rear which makes it 175mm longer where the leaves mount on the rear, also has an extra tray mount on the rear section as well.
I'd say the extra weight carrying comes from the leaves and the bigger diff

·
Registered
Nissan
438 Posts
The bigger diff with the full floating axles allows the higher GVM. The H233 coil diff has an axle rating of 1800kg for the rear I believe, but the big diff is rated at over 2T as far as I know.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,397 Posts
Pretty sure the chassis are wider at the back on coilys. I bought a leaf tray to put on and the mounts were miles off.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Pretty sure the chassis are wider at the back on coilys. I bought a leaf tray to put on and the mounts were miles off.
I dont know if the chassis is wider, i think you'll find the mounting point are spaced differently (width wise) and there are more of them.

pic of "welded on" extended chassis section. Its like a slip on section

pics taken from booykj old leaf ute build thread

so the reason the leafs have a greater carrying capacity:
- narrower rear track (diff is shorter, also shorter than the wagon h60)
- bigger diff centre (h60)
- extended chassis
- more mounting points on the chassis (for the tray)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,397 Posts
Yea your probably right mate

·
Registered
nissan
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for the info, my patrol is a 97 st Patrol (ex wagon) Dual Cab, 800mm exstension, 2.1m tray and has the semi floating H260 in it (not sure of the axle load ratting for this diff housing). We are looking at putting leaves under the rear and the end to end fully floating diff H260.

If anyone has access to a ute and a wagon that could possibly measure chassis width at the rear somewhere that would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Patrolit

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are not as wide as a coil rear I had the same issue coil tray on leaf rear all brackets need to be changed. Will check chassis width

·
Registered
64 Posts
So my gu ute leaf sprung although now coil converted is roughly 1155mm measured at rear outside to outside of chassis checking the misses wagon they seem like there roughly the same will recheck tomorrow in daylight

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
GU Leaf chassis dimensions

Wow, been a while since I've been on here!
I'm after a schematic drawing of a GU leaf ute chassis showing tray mount dimensions.
I never thought it would be so hard to find. I've got 6 Patrol manuals and not one of them has chassis details lol!!
If anyone has a link or a PDF of the drawing I appreciate it!
Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts