1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Scripting a chat room is basic stuff.
Easy as chips.
Link could do it in his sleep.
Why doesn't Patrol 4x4 have one linked to the forums?

Back in the relitively early days of the net, maybe ten to 13 years ago I assisted the construction, scripting and moderation of three seperate and fairly large and succesfull chat rooms. Each was linked to a forum. it worked really well. You can get answers fast, it assists in keeping spam and thread hijacking down to a minimum, reduces the instance of pointless threads and builds a stronger sence of community within the site.
Patrol 4x4 is a pretty well concieved and scripted site yet lacks a chat room.
Why is that ?

·
Registered
nissan
776 Posts
How do you know Terry can script that well?

I would have thought it might have had something to do with the old servers barely being able to support the forum, let alone a chat room aswell. Then you would need mods to stop the spamming, I guess we could just use the forum mods to mod it, sound like a good idea.

·
Banned
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going back a fair way here and I will highlight my use of the term "assisted". I stayed with the site owner for a period of five months back in like 1999 and kept a hand in the rooms as a moderator for a few years from then. Im no expert in scripting but while I was staying there and afterwards for a while over the net I was being taught some scripting. I was never an expert and less so all these years later but I was starting to get the hang of it back then. I did sit at the desk next to her and watched the various sites being constructed over months so am able to assert that its easy for someone who is experienced. They were scripting in PHP/MySQL/Ajax. but there are a number of likely languages to choose from.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Do we really need the issues associated with it? We have enough heated debate on here from time to time, who is going to moderate it CONSTANTLY? It will turn into a he said she said battle on the forum itself if people get angry in the chat.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
STUMPY/GU said:
*CHAT ROOM* WTF.

What next ????????
x eleventy williontrillionteen...

theres yillionteens of free chat gigs out there as it is...
MSN/Yahoo/Aim etc anyway.

All I wanna know is WHY ISNT THERE A COFFEE MACHINE IN HERE?

·
Banned
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I just reckon it would be good to log in and say G'day to the other online users live.

"ah, G'day whoever, how are ya", ect.

Would build a much stronger sence of community than we currently have, which in my view is not that flash currently.

Moderation wouldn't be a problem. Choose ten of the regular old hands and give them a boot button. They are all pretty fair guys and wont take shyt.

Your right, there are other chat rooms on the net, all full of 12 year old girls. Try asking them for advice on your turbo or dump pipes. Live chat within Patrol 4x4 would be a much clearer way to obtain emediate advice.

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
actually yeah, if your working on your car and come across a problem whatever it maybe just jump on live and most prbably get an answer in minutes. i reckon its a cool idea.

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,006 Posts
I just reckon it would be good to log in and say G'day to the other online users live.

"ah, G'day whoever, how are ya", ect.

Would build a much stronger sence of community than we currently have, which in my view is not that flash currently.
"ah, G'day Shilo, how are ya"

Yes.... i feel more communal already :p

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,006 Posts
:rofl: ha ha, i can never resist giving a jab to the ribs :)

i hope my communal disease isn't infectious lol :rofl:

in all seriousness, i am very new to internet forums and chat rooms and i already like the sense that even though i have never actually met anyone on this site, everyone seems very mate-y with lots of smiles and jokes. except of course there are a few sad sacks.

i reckon a chat room would be cool but i'd probably get fired from work from spending too much time on it. (my boss already gives me the eye if he see's the red bars across the screen.) plus i type slower than a sloth on valium, i'd never keep up with everyone.

·
Registered
nissan
776 Posts
this thread is slowly surely going to turn into a PAD thread!

yeh PAD!

if ya need a chat, start a thread?
you could even call it 'Chat Room'.

LOLOLOL
enjoy boys!
Or instead of you just posting in an attempt to raise your post count you can actual contribute something to the forums for once.

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,567 Posts
Or instead of you just posting in an attempt to raise your post count you can actual contribute something to the forums for once.

actually your wrong,
i dont care about the post count!

i just like posting, and its mainly done in general discussion or in the members lounge,
and ill contribute to where my knowladge base extends to, in other threads etc.

so, moving on :D

·
Banned
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I agree Joel (generally).
I'v been a member and regular user for over two years.
My post count is currently (cant see it here) around 250.
I keep noticing users who have been members for three months with post counts of like 800.
If you have been a member for three months and have a post count of 800 I can garantee most of what you have to say is usless.
Another good reason to introduce a Patrol 4x4 chat room.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts