Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,274 Posts
Mines on a locking system so it will never budge.

Decapitation lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
My Step Father was decapitated by a case of soft drink in his car after he had a minor accident, so it can happen and very easily.

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wasn't there someone on here that towed home their new camper only to realize when they got home the tow ball hitch was only held on by the locking nut/bolt and no main pin? He was a lucky bugger.
yep I saw that too . towbar place forgot to put in the pin. I take mine off when not being used.

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
Mines on a locking system so it will never budge.

My Step Father was decapitated by a case of soft drink in his car after he had a minor accident, so it can happen and very easily.
Yeah I don't doubt it. Just laughing at the journalist and the way they try and sell a story. It would of been lucky to break her nose.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,587 Posts
Something that size at the speed it was travelling would to more than break her nose.

Anyone remember the "STYLUS Nightclub" incident that happened in FTG 20 years or so ago now, where a brick was thrown through the windscreen of a car travelling at 70-80km killed a passenger instantly!

I figure this to be exactly the same! A towbar like the one in the article at 110km would be fatal! God help other roadusers around her if it happened.

Very lucky woman!

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,274 Posts
And if that weighs 10kgs then I am the king of Siam
Long live the king :):

Whether it's 10kg or 5kg doesn't make it less deadly, smaller rocks dropped by morons of bridges have killed motorists before on roads and at less speed.

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts

Whether it's 10kg or 5kg doesn't make it less deadly, smaller rocks dropped by morons of bridges have killed motorists before on roads and at less speed.
I agree, my point was the journo sensationalising (wow I spelt that right first time) the incident by over exaggerating.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,277 Posts

I taught the kids that did that @ Campbelltown. There was a lot that wasn't brought out and the penalty was not right. :anger:

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
I was going to comment as to how could you drive off with the Reese hitch in place and no pin, but I suppose it can happen.

I was down at a boat ramp one day and came back to the trailer to find that some ass had taken the pin out of mine and the next four or five tow hitches.

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
I was going to comment as to how could you drive off with the Reese hitch in place and no pin, but I suppose it can happen.

I was down at a boat ramp one day and came back to the trailer to find that some ass had taken the pin out of mine and the next four or five tow hitches.
Sunday afternoon entertainment at the boat ramp, watch your boat and trailer disappear off the end of the ramp when you drive off. they would have been there watching for the fun...

Interesting in that the tow ball and tongue was also fitted upside down.

Maybe manufacturers need to re-engineer the tongues so the holes are not centred on the tongue and receiver and only go in the right way up, if you want to lift the tow point buy the correct tongue or lift adjusting attachment.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
My pin is one of the lockable ones so no one can pinch it without considerable effort..

If I'm going somewhere where I'll likely park with the trailer on I'll padlock it to the car with the chain. Cant stop someone pinching the shackles though i spose (unless you remove them and put them in the boot when parked ie at the boat ramp) You can also run the chain through the tow handle and lock it onto itself so that it can't be lifted up.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol my08
42 Posts
Some tried to steal mine but couldn't get it out because of all the mud and crap in it. Was only that I seen the safety clip on the driveway or it might have been weeks before I releasized the pin was gone.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu4.2
1,085 Posts

I didn't realise there was a right way and a wrong way.... and does it make a difference???:confused:

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Mine is never in unless I'm towing. Makes practical sense to me. If it is not there, it can't be stolen either.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
I have 2 towbar tongues, one short one with a 50mm ball which has the flat bit aligned down ===|_ , and a long tongue for the off road hitch which has the flat bit up the top ===|™ .

I find that the trailers tow better that way around.. And the camper sits flatter. Dunno if that's OK to do? Any advice?

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,797 Posts

I didn't realise there was a right way and a wrong way.... and does it make a difference???:confused:
No ...

I asked this question when I had a new tow bar fitted to my old 80 series.

It had a sticker on it and it clearly shows that the tongue that it can be used either way.

The people (who I know and have been making and fitting since I was a kid) confirmed that it can be turned either way to suit the height of what you’re towing so that whatever you’re towing is level, as you will get pinched if your trailer is not so (mainly for load sharing on duals) …

I also asked if there was any rating change due to the two pin positions available. They said that some older ones have a slight downgrade of tow ball weight if you use the longer setting.

However, these had been phased out and are now illegal, and if you had the old style you would get a roadie for it.

Both are ADR and designed to make it idiot proof. The rating is written on the drawbar attached to your vehicle, no matter which way the tongue is up or which position the pin is in, that is the rating.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts